Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

when a cartwheel as a motivator fails

I decided it was time to bring out the mightiest motivator - my cartwheel. As a firm believer in intrinsic motivation and celebrations, I rarely use rewards, and I have used the cartwheel only twice before, both times when a student needed an unconventional boost to accomplish something. This time the seemingly mission impossible for one boy is learning cursive. The rest of the children listened to me when I explained the benefits of cursive writing, accepted my invitation to learn it and gladly practiced daily until they transitioned to writing fully in cursive. No complaints, no tears. This one boy did not accept my invitation, did not get inspired by his classmates, did not responded to any attempts to nudge, persuade, nor plead him. His dramatic reactions to the mere mention of cursive surpassed the flare of any drama queen I had seen before. 

"S. if you will practice cursive daily, I promise that after a month I will do a cartwheel," I said in front of the whole class.

Everyone got excited. 

Except S. He looked horrified.

"Ms. Terje, I couldn't. You might break your bones. I don't want to be responsible for breaking your bones," he answered.

I hadn't been ready for this.  My best motivator failed. All the cajoling from the classmates didn't waver his position. His concern for my well-being over-weighed his wish to please his friends. 

I didn't touch the subject for several days. Today I suggested that I could bake a cake. Apparently he doesn't eat cake. 

"S, how about an ice-cream party?" I asked today.

It's a deal! There's hope. 


 cartwheel 1

cartwheel 2

6 comments:

  1. Haha aww, how endearing S is with his concern for others! Those moments of teaching that humble you, just when you think you've pulled out the right card, are such great learning experiences. Thank you for sharing yours with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As they say, everyone has a price and it seems like you found his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story resonated with me on many levels even though I never mastered a cartwheel - even in my most flexible times! I did, long ago, promise to somersault down a a hallway for ANY student who read 100 books during the summer. One student did take me up on that - and I did make it onto the local news! I have to admit that an ice cream party is much easier - and the tangible reinforcement of sweets on the tongue is better for everyone. Motivation is a powerful tool connecting students and teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I'm impressed that you offered a cartwheel ... I would never have been able to pay up, were I to make such an offer! Ice cream sounds good, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would offer cake and cookies, but no cartwheels! Thrilled that you did not give up trying to find that sweet spot. We'll be here waiting to hear about the ice cream party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! "You might break your bones."

    Terje, this shows the keen relationship between you and the student. It is not a power struggle about learning cursive, it is something different. You are a wise teacher.

    Shine on, Ruth

    PS -- I will never pass on an offer of your cake.

    ReplyDelete