Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

The things we do to motivate students

"Did you really do a handstand?" was the greeting I received form a colleague on Thursday morning.
"No," I replied, "but I did do a cartwheel."
This is true. I did. On Wednesday afternoon right before the day ended. In my small classroom. In front of my students.
I can't say anything about the beauty or elegance of my cartwheel. Just for a few seconds I felt decades younger, several centimetres slimmer and many kilos lighter. The ten year old me rejoiced.
It could have ended badly as in the funniest videos where the world laughs and I wish to cry because someone got hurt. I hadn't done it for many years but I trusted my muscle memory.
You are probably wondering why I would do something like this.
For a student.
S. had word study written sort. With her antennas attuned to everything happening in the class she kept stopping in mid word to see and hear what was going around in the class. With this speed the chance of writing all words before the day ended was impossible.
First I used simple reminders to stay focused.
When others started cleaning the classroom, I started a cheerleading routine with imaginary pompons.
"You can do it," I cheered to S, made her smile.
She looked determined at first and wrote word after word.
The clock kept ticking.
"I can't do it," S. was starting to give up.
"If you get your words written, I will do a cartwheel," I gave an ultimate promise.
Now everyone's antennas went up.
Action followed. The students started pushing the tables and chairs to make space for me.
"S, you can do it. Do it. We want to see Ms. Terje's cartwheel," multiple voices filled the room.
The school day finished. S. leaned lower, her nose almost touching her journal, and wrote.
Everyone else watched intently.
"Done," announced S. and put her pencil down victoriously.
And I did my cartwheel.
One time show only.

5 comments:

  1. We do what we gotta do to motivate our students. I am sure your students will carry this memory with them throughout their lives. So, who recorded it and posted on YouTube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story and I can feel your energy and the postivity that you bring to your classroom. Your child-like enthusiasm and fierce belief in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! What lengths we will go to! I can just see the students pushing the tables out of the way as S works, nose to the paper. I have a feeling more people than you will remember this moment fondly - the humour, the joy, the commitment to students. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cheering for you, too! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your slice made me smile, Terje. It made me recall a cartwheeling memory of my own.
    I remember trying to do a cartwheel in my late 20's (which was about 15 years ago) to impress my students when we had a picnic in Central Park. I vowed that one would be my last cartwheel since things pulled and ached in places where nothing hurt when I was a limber nine-year-old doing gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete