"I heard your cartwheel was epic! ;)" was the first email I read today.
Isn't that a fabulous email to start a day with?
This email from a parent highlights a celebration of a challenging learning journey. After I had heard several times form an Estonian teacher that one of my students had not learned his vocabulary words, I knew I had to do something about it. The student either lacked motivation, didn't understand that he actually had to practice in order to remember the words, or had no idea of the way to practice, or maybe all of the three. I knew it was time for me to bring out the mightiest motivation and help possible. My cartwheel. And regular iretrieval practice of words.
So last Wednesday, when once again he failed his assessment, I said that we would make a collective effort as a class to help him. I recruited different students to sit with him on Thursday and Friday to review the words. During one of the lessons on Friday afternoon, when others completed work independently, I sat with him and showed him the words in Estonian and he wrote them on a small whiteboard. I also explained to him that he would have to do a similar practice on Saturday and Sunday because this was the best way to strengthen the synapses in his brain and remember the words.
I asked how he would remember to ask for help from mom. He wrote a note to himself. To make the support even stronger, I spoke to his older sister, to tell mom that he would ask for help, and if not, mom would ask about it. As a final touch I promised in front of the whole class that if he would get everything right on the test I would do a cartwheel.
The whole class promised to be his cheerleader. It's not every day a teacher cartwheels. They knew that I did it only once last year.
The child returned on Monday confident in himself. his mom sent me an email sharing that he had taken every opportunity to practice with his sister and dad. Jus tin case we reviewed the words one more time during the day before his assessment. He knew all the words required.
When he came back form the assessment it wasn't the perfect score. He had passes. he had done many times better than ever before. His classmates persuaded me that the perfect score shouldn't be the criteria for me doing the cartwheel. He deserved it anyway. A celebration for his success. I agreed.
We pushed away some chairs and tables to make room for me on the carpet. The kids had their I-Pads ready to record, what I asked to put away, because my cartwheel was one time special event only, no recordings.
It is probably not normal, nor totally safe, for a middle-aged slightly overweight person to cartwheel in the classroom.
I did it anyway. I felt that my legs were pretty straight and my final pose was beautiful. Done! Bow! Cheering from the kids.
Today I found out from a parent that my cartwheel was epic. Whatever it takes to give a mighty boost for a child who needs it. ;)

Love this. We do whatever it takes to motivate our students. So, where's the video?
ReplyDeleteLove this. We do whatever it takes to motivate our students. So, where's the video?
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Instead of being left out, your boy had the whole class community (and his family) behind them. You put that together! By being willing to be silly, out of the box. Such a great reminder! Your students will never forget that day!! And I suspect they will never forget your lesson that everyone can learn, they just need to learn how to learn.
ReplyDeleteTerje, bravo, applause for you-not just for your gymnastic feat but fir understanding your learner as an amazing teacher facilitator would do!
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to be able to do a cartwheel. Sigh. I have a music teacher-friend who rewards her students with being able to do the splits. Amazing! I love how your whole class became involved with one student's success. That made it everyone's success. Yay!
ReplyDelete