Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2022

perfect timing

When I am in the neighbourhood of my favourite one-room independent bookstore, I always go in.

When I am inside this bookstore, I always buy a book or two or more. 

Walking around the bookstore this Saturday, a strange feeling suddenly started to crawl up my back. My usual problem is that I can't make a choice because there are too many fantastic books I wish to buy. This time, unexpectedly, I had an opposite issue. I looked a the fantastic books and none of them spoke to me.  I knew that all the books in the store were carefully chosen and anything I have ever bought from there has given me a positive reading experience. Most of my books in recent years are from this bookstore. I was puzzled by my peculiar situation - a reader in a fabulous bookstore, surrounded by collection of quality books, and incapable of choosing anything. 

After looking at the books on the shelves against the wall and walking around a table in the middle of the room I came close to the counter.

"Terje, I have something for you," the owner of the bookstore spoke to me. 

"The book just arrived from the publisher and I am sure you'd like it," she smiled, reached her hand over the counter towards me and showed me a small book. 

"Yes, this is exactly what I need," I responded, and I felt how I became lighter and a smile stretched over my face. The book was a third collection of small slices of life by a lovely female author. 

I bought the book. 

The representative of the publisher stood close by and looked at the exchange with a pleasant surprise.




2 comments:

  1. The nice thing about an independent book store is that the owner gets to know you and your likes so when something special comes in it is brought to your attention. Glad you got that special book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You capture this bookstore so well. How lucky to visit, be called by named and handed just the book to purchase and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete