People are choosing little words, creating visions, setting goals - the usual at the beginning of the year. It is possible to find numerous thinking stems and journal prompts to help to sort through the wishes and thoughts.
One step before looking forward is to look back. I thought I'd take a look at some of things I have collected from last year either in writing or in photos. According to my Instagram photos I mostly read and walk. According to my twitter posts I read and go to exhibitions. My blog is also filled with lots and lots of good things. My gratitude journal highlights family, friends, self-care and little pleasures. Except for my super long to-do lists there's little evidence that most of my time is taken up with teaching and leadership matters, involving lots of people business and emotions. Perhaps what I have chosen to share publicly is a sign that I have been able to step out of my roles, know how to focus on my well-being and understand the importance of gratitude and joy. It's a good place to be and maybe I don't need grand plans for the new year. I still like to ponder about the possibilities. I like the playful element that the change of the year reflections and dreaming tasks offer.
This year I decided to try out Susannah Conway's "Find Your Word" to help me find my one little word. I didn't choose the word yet, but sure had fun with some of the exercises. The first task was to write about an ideal day. I played with this task quite a bit in many formats, and I shared one of my ideal days last week. Another task was to quickly write down answers to "What do I need more of?" and "What do I need less of?" as they come to the mind.
My lists turned out like this:
What do I need less of?
things on to-do-list
drama and misunderstandings
bolstering under my skin
sugar and flour
TV
What do I need more of?
slow days
laughter
water
sleep
writing marathons
coaching
meeting inspirational people
I kind of like that these two lists are short. I'll keep playing with words and hopefully by next week I'll have my OLW. Meanwhile, I enjoy my last year's word "Cake" - it sweetened my year.
What would be on your lists of need more of/less of?
Yesm Terje, I did like your unusual word for 2021. I am so glad that it sweetened your many stellar professional and personal moments. I give a quick sign of what my word is in today's slice. I need to steer away from negatives for sure no matter how hard the challenges are. Your poem speaks of your mores and lesses. It is fine list that will lay the foundation for your one word. I am hosting Poetry Friday these week and plan on a total reveal of my one word then. The snowstorm knocked me off kilter so I am glad that I can see the beauty of winter amidst yesterday's gray sky.
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your post and granting me permission to not have my one little word ready yet either! I also really enjoyed your creative approach to analyzing your various social media platforms and connecting data on yourself- so neat. Thank you for sharing the resource, I cannot wait to explore further!
ReplyDeleteI always love to read other people's processes, so thanks for sharing that. Based off of the writing marathon with your kids that you shared last year I will start our poetry unit Monday with a writing marathon, which I am really looking forward to!
ReplyDeleteI haven't chosen my word yet, but I really like your process. I may try it to come up with a word for the year.
ReplyDelete