Today is Saturday. The first Saturday of this year. Like often on Saturdays I am sitting on my living room sofa and writing a blog post. My first blog post this year. First Sharing Our Stories post. The invitation is to write off a word. One Little Word.
Reflecting on my OLW 2020 Thrive, I thought I had chosen my new word in November. As the year came closer to the end I started doubting in my choice. I felt I wasn't ready for the word I had in mind. I decided to look for a new word. During different years the OLWs have arrived in different ways, some easily, some after more deliberate searching. They have worked their magic similarly with different effect, some softer, some stronger. How others discover their words and how the words guide their lives is always fascinating to read.
The universe, or the internet, must have read my mind. On the last day of the year I stumbled across a text on Instagram that included a sentence: "Believe that 2020 was all about finding what you need to thrive before you are launched forward into something amazing." It seemed that "Launch" should follow "Thrive." I kind of liked the idea. I pulled out my journal and wrote down several ideas about launching. Launching projects for health. learning, home and writing. Following the idea of boats travelling on the ocean I added how navigation should include keeping my eye on the horizon, using maps, and be aware of the currents and wind. Building on this I wrote about managing resources, both time and energy. I went to sleep with a satisfied heart for I thought I had made good progress with my OLW.
Yesterday afternoon I realised that "launch" is one time word and would not sustain me throughout the year. I needed something that would help me to keep going. And then I remembered some wise words from a mole in The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse.
"Cake" sounds like a perfect one little word for a year.



Oh, Terje, I love this. Let's set up a Zoom meeting and we'll all have cake and tea and chat together. I think I've found my word...sitting with it for a few days.
ReplyDeleteCan I join your Zoom meeting? Cake it is. I will bring the cookies.
DeleteAbsolutely LOVE your word. It makes me smile too!
ReplyDeleteI love the word and the story from which it comes. Reminds a little bit of strawberry, too! ;)
ReplyDeleteThis was absolutely delightful. It's a perfect word for the year!
ReplyDeleteAn awesome story and word - never minding that it's not a verb or all the ingredients, but it MIGHT win inspiration awards! Cake is a reason to keep going! I loved this. Happy New Year, Terje.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful! I love your choice!
ReplyDeleteYay! Cake is your One Little Word!
ReplyDeleteJust this week, my writing group was sending their thoughts about OLW and I suggested to "the other Ruth" that she select CAKE. Although she loved the word, she was looking for a 3-letter word. Naturally, I suggested the inventive spelling CAK, which naturally she approved given our tendency to love stories with inventive spelling from our youngest writers.
Anyway, I am so pleased to discover that you have selected CAKE. I am officially taking you up on the invitation to eat cake and drink tea. We can schedule a zoom.
xo,
ruth
Terje,I have struggled to find my #oneword 2021 but it finally arrived. I will reveal it on Wednesday night when I host Spiritual Journey Thursday with the theme #OnewWord2021. If you bring CAKE to the comment box or even add the link to this blog, I will celebrate with you and so will the other bloggers. Life is better with cake! Here is an inspirational quote for you that fits well: "Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake." Dean Koontz
ReplyDeleteHere's to a year of cake-filled hope dreams!