I have been thinking what to slice about today all day long. An idea came. A perfectly lovely idea. The little critic said no. Another idea arrived. A dreamy one. A firm no from the critic again. When I tried to offer a third idea, the little critic closed its ears. The critic seemed to be in a grumpy mood. I was not. I had a long day. A good day. I had many moments worthy to turn into slices. The critic argued against them. When the ideas from today's lessons nor walks were not good enough, I turned to my journals. Browsing through my journals I showed the critic the various lists I had written and little snippets that could have grown into slices. The critic shook the head so vigorously I worried abuot it falling off the shoulders.
"Fine. You clearly don't like my ideas. What do you have to offer?" I threw the ball to my little critic.
The critic doesn't say a word. A little finger lifted and pointed. I followed it's direction.
"You want me to write about the postcards on the bookshelf?" I asked.
A nod.
I didn't know how to slice about the postcards. I didn't want to argue with the little critic. It's always so exhausting.
I collected the various postcards from the different bookshelves, arranged them into a collage on a couch and took a photo.
It's going to be a puzzle. I can share where I got the postcards and you can make your best guess which postcard I might be speaking about. I will not give an answer key. Let it remain a puzzle.
- The oldest postcard is from a 'big sis' who was my welcome person during my student exchange year at Smith College.
- The newest postcard is from a cafe in one of the Estonian summer resorts. My hubby and I go there every time we visit the seaside town.
- I got two postcards from Helsinki.
- One postcard is from a London't National Portrait Gallery. Portrait award 2018.
- One of the postcards is a gift from a friend. She said that the card seemed to fit me.
- I found one of the postcards hanging on a window display in a small postcard shop in Old Tallinn.
- One of the cards came home with me from an exhibition from the Children's Literature Centre.
- In addition to one of the postcards I bought a whole big expensive book after I visited one exhibition five times in Fotografiska.
- One of the postcards was on a display in Home and Art shop in Telliskivi Creative Centre.

Our inner critics must be related -- or at least exchanging notes, sharing the same playbook. Mine know's I don't keep post-cards so will have to come up with somehthing else...
ReplyDeleteThose little critics have big voices and demand to be heard. I am glad you listened to your critic. This is a great way to revisit memories and to see how share we are in using your clues to guess whih postcard fits which clue.
ReplyDeleteThose little critics have big voices and demand to be heard. I am glad you listened to your critic. This is a great way to revisit memories and to see how share we are in using your clues to guess whih postcard fits which clue.
ReplyDeleteThose little critics have big voices and demand to be heard. I am glad you listened to your critic. This is a great way to revisit memories and to see how share we are in using your clues to guess whih postcard fits which clue.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you listened to your critic and shared your postcards with us today. I enjoyed reading your inner monologue
ReplyDeleteI loved hearing your little critic come to life in this slice. Definitely a mentor text for me, my teachers and my students— so interesting!! A while character indeed. I adore these postcards and your approach to today’s writing. Thank you for fueling me to add this to my list, too!
ReplyDelete