Click, click, click - buying books is too easy. With a few clicks my online cart had several items in it and with a few more clicks I had paid for the books. Waaay too easy. Less than five minutes. So easy that in addition to buying books from a bookstore chain, I made sure to support my favourite independent book store. A few more clicks and a purchase done.
This time I was a victim of an advertisement. Not really. When the email from the biggest bookstore chain popped in my inbox, I didn't have to open it. Looking at the discounts, I didn't have to put anything in the cart. Even with things in the cart, I didn't have to pay. I did. I wanted to. I usually delete these emails to avoid temptation. This time, in the midst of Estonia's darker than dark situation with a bright future nowhere to be seen, books are a good solace. Besides I had received my tax return. Doing taxes had also taken a few clicks and less than five minutes.
Today I got a note from the delivery company that both my packages had arrived. The messages came right before my first break. Perfect for a little walk to the parcel machine. Five minute walk, a few clicks, five minutes back. The independent bookstore ladies had hand-written "Thank you!" on their parcel. The other parcel had a little spring greeting drawing from my cousin who works in the big bookstore. She had seen may parcel there and added the drawing, letting me know about it through messenger. Happy was written all over my face as I walked home in the sunshine with two parcels under my arms.
I exercised amazing self-control in not abandoning my work. After giving more lessons, making lunch, and having one more meeting, the opening of the boxes was a celebration. Ten books - two non-ficiton, two fiction, one poetry, one memoir, two self-help, one essay, and one art book. All in Estonian this time. Plenty of reading in case we stay in lockdown until the end of this school year. And if we stay longer, I can always buy more books with a few more clicks.
Is ten books too many?
I thought we had agreed in this group that we can never have too many books.

Books remedy every ill. And that's one reason why are NEVER too many books.
ReplyDeleteNo number of books is too many. I have been there with clicking and buying books. I need to start reading faster so that I can get through all of the books I have, but fast reading is not the way to enjoy a good book.
ReplyDeleteNo number of books is too many. I have been there with clicking and buying books. I need to start reading faster so that I can get through all of the books I have, but fast reading is not the way to enjoy a good book.
ReplyDeleteNo! There is no such thing as too many books. I'm a bit jealous. I have three on my bookstand, but am feeling I might need more. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteYou had me at the title ... Love that I felt like I journeyed along with you on your trip to the book store. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteAll the books! Sounds like an excellent mix. I hope your selection becomes the solace you need to weather a further lockdown.
ReplyDeleteNever too many!! But wow, I have bought so many books this year. I was looking at one of my shelves today and realized that most of it is books I've bought in the last year. YIKES! But you're right: it's just too easy to buy books, and with libraries closed or mostly inaccessible to browsing, it has been so easy to browse online and click, click there it is arriving on my porch!
ReplyDelete