Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2021

a Sunday morning after a bd

Sitting on my living room sofa on a Sunday morning, the last of this month, I see the face printouts of Ed Sheeran and three Estonian singers wearing party hats and smiling at me from the opposite wall (my teenager's way to make my bd more festive), and I can't help but smile back. Add to this the three bouquets of tulips and pieces of two left-over cakes from yesterday, then getting a year older feels acceptable (if not to say joyous, but I wouldn't go that far). 

I have long past the time when bd was about gifts. It's all about the people in my life. During last year's lockdown I celebrated only with my hubby, and youngest and oldest daughter. This year's lockdown has also set limits to the celebrations. I am thankful that my mom, sis and little nephew came. I am ok with the limits. I hope that when everyone follows the restrictions, we will have freedom in the summer, and then I will see my middle daughter, my dad, my big nephew and my brother-in-law again. 

I have DL lessons to prepare for the next week. I tuck this thought away. The rest of the family is still sleeping.  An unfinished Moomin puzzle waits on the floor. My daughters started it last night after my sis, mom and nephew left. On a shelf next to the PD books and unread new novels is a colorful book that my little nephew made for me. He stapled a bunch of papers together, drew Sponge Bob characters with details and colors and wrote some text in the direction that made sense to him and might take some deciphering from the readers less experienced with young writer's texts. The sun spills through the large window and lights the room. I savour the slow and quiet of the morning. 



11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Terje! I savor the images and expressions of love in your post, and the deep gratitude with which you observe them - the celebration truly being all about the people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy day after your birthday. Soak up the love and allow yourself a slower day today. I love how you notice all of the things given and missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sundays are made for being slow and restful. Enjoy your day after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sundays are made for being slow and restful. Enjoy your day after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sundays are made for being slow and restful. Enjoy your day after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Happy Birthday! The joy of family and quiet meaningful celebration is evident in your post. Yes, hooray for that quiet Sunday morning to relish it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! There is love and gratitude in these quiet noticings, and yes, one might say a tinge of joy amidst yet another lockdown. I felt like I was getting a 360 degree tour of your room; it feels peaceful and comfortable. Thanks for letting us in today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had joyful day and a quiet morning! We all need more of those in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww I loved this writing- so much gratitude for the sweet little items and collective efforts the build up to an entire life. Happy next trip around the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! I'm so glad you got to spend it with loved ones. I sure hope you get to see all of your other family members soon (summer is soon, right?) I really enjoyed your introspective slice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a lovely day, filled mostly with gifts that are too big and wonderful to wrap!

    ReplyDelete