Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Reflection week 4 + BD

Kitchen without a table is spacious. And strange. My teenager has rolled her office chair to the kitchen and I sit here with the laptop on the windowsill. I have sliced carrots, cucumbers and bell peppers for snack, and a chocolate cake is in the oven. I have wiped the kitchen counters and swept the floor. My hubby is vacuuming the living room carpet. 

Today I celebrate my birthday. Nothing grand. Mom and sis and little nephew will come. This is already rather special. I haven't seen my mom since Christmas. Dad called me and said that he'd rather stay at home, and I understand him. I'll make sure to send him some cake. 

My plan for this week was to keep writing. I succeeded! I was about to say that I daily take a seat on my living room sofa and then realised that currently (during distance learning) my sofa and I are pretty much inseparable, so let me rephrase it. Every day I show up on my blog and write. Towards the end of the challenge the tiredness and writer's block make more appearances and it would be so easy to let go of the writing and commenting. I wrote, and I made my writing sweet with cinnamon rolls, post cards, books, tea, writerly bio and spring. 

I appreciate how the right words (from phone calls, blogs, books, podcasts, comments, and poems) appear at the right time to evoke emotions that run through the body and remind what truly matters in life. 

Wishing you poetic beauty for your weekend!




9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! It is something how the words we need appear when we need them most. Chocolate cake - enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this line: "I appreciate how the right words...appear at the right time..." This captures the power in the challenge for me and it is true all the time, but especially in March. Thanks for putting words to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, dear friend from across the world. Love how you sweetened your writing. Clearly, I missed a few important posts. Cinnamon rolls? Just found that one sentence slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Terje! I'm very glad you are still here despite the struggle to keep going in the last week. Austria is heading into its next lockdown and I thought of you when it was announced. Enjoy your special day with cake and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happiest of birthays to you! I hope you enjoyed your time with your family and the sharing of the chocolate cake! Poetic beauty to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Every day I show up...that's the important part right? I've been doing a walking challenge - haven't missed a day in 313 days! And every day it starts with me making the conscious decision to put on my walking shoes. I could so easily stay on the sofa, but getting up to put on the shoes means I'm committed. The writing challenge has been the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Terje. Chocolate cake in the oven-I can smell it now and offer you many wonderful happenings this year. Your line, "Towards the end of the challenge the tiredness and writer's block make more appearances and it would be so easy to let go of the writing and commenting," is also on my mind. Tonight, fatiqued from another full day, led me to wonder what I would write in between dozing periods. Words did not flow easily and here I am past 12 midnight gathering wisdom from others after posting. I always love the sweetness you offer with your slices.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you've kept writing, even when you didn't have the words and despite the busyness of DL that's been sprung on you. I've struggled this month and I'm not sure why. While I've enjoyed writing most days, some days it's felt like a chore. Not sure why. I need to think more about that. Thanks for sharing your reflections...and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete