Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Why my students didn't get to move furniture

The beginning of the year blog posts and tweets show two ends of a classroom set up continuum. On the one side there are the artistically crafted, picture perfect, colorful and cute, every detail carefully chosen, decorated classrooms. On the other end is the increasing trend of classrooms with the furniture piled in the middle, waiting for the kids to design and organize everything.

Having no interior decorator gene whatsoever I always feared the expectation of the shiny bulletin boards and artistic labels. My result, no matter how hard I tried, was slightly crooked and awkward.

Over the years, with moving from one room to another, I learned about classroom design, and figured out what was needed for a well-functioning caring learning environment. As long as there was flexible seating, a cozy reading corner and some round tables, the requirement was met. The walls stayed empty, waiting for the learners to make their learning visible.

The reasoning for the new approach of collaboratively organizing the space is to give choice and voice to the students from the very first moment, and to let feel ownership of the space. Even though I believe in learner agency, I did not let my student move the furniture, probably appearing somewhat old-fasioned and not innovative.

I had my reasons.
1. With the furniture that I have in the small classroom I have tried different layouts and the one that we have right now seems to be the best use of space so far. Moving the cupboards or shelves from one corner to another wouldn't make much difference. Switching the position of two round tables makes no difference either.
2. I admire the teachers who have energy, enthusiasm and excitement for organizing and reorganizing the classroom space together with the kids. Having had to move furniture from one classroom to another several times in the past the memory of the mess and the stress are still with me. I wouldn't say I was traumatized but it is certainly a negative feeling that I wouldn't want to shadow the start of the year.
3. I can imagine that on the one hand the students may get excited from making the decisions, on the other hand they might be equally happy to arrive to a warm and inviting home-like classroom.
4. I believe that with all the other things we will do this year the learners in my class will grow agency and missing out on lifting a sofa won't have a lasting effect on them.
5. Starting the year with a ready classroom allowed us to spend time getting to know each other, talk about several read aloud books, create portraits, write poetry, play games. The start was slow and soft and sweet.

If you fill the class with love it's ok to choose how you get ready, whether you spend hours getting ready by yourself or take time to set up the classroom together with your kids or keep the classroom simple and snug. 

Happy New Schoo Year!

The green chairs are new

Writing workshop on the second day of school

First read aloud books of the year
My thoughts on classroom design in august 2015

8 comments:

  1. I want to be a student in your classroom! What a wonderful, inviting space for learning!
    I appreciated your thoughtful approach to setting up your classroom. I think that you're spot on when you say that what really matters is filling our classrooms with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You set up an amazing space - perfect for learning. And that's what it's all about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I loved this sentence near the end of your post - "The start was slow and soft and sweet." I love your approach to keeping the classroom simple and snug and focusing on what happens for learners in that space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your thoughtful perspective and the clear way you lay out your reasons. A question: do the furniture-moving teachers have more than one class during the day? (I would assume not.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you named the continuum first, showing the two extremes of setting up a classroom. So true! And then shared your way and why. Very clear structure and the photos are an added bonus! Your students are lucky. I'd love to be a student in your warm, inviting space. Enjoy the games, portrait making and read-alouds! You are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your classroom design, Terje, and your thoughtful post. I was intrigued that your children wrote poetry. Is there any that would fit in my summer gallery, The Art of Summering. I would love to post their poems and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great set up. Why mess with perfection?

    ReplyDelete
  8. "If you fill the class with love it's ok to choose how you get ready, whether you spend hours getting ready by yourself or take time to set up the classroom together with your kids or keep the classroom simple and snug." - I like this :)

    ReplyDelete