Sunday, September 2, 2018
Celebrate: the first two weeks
On Wednesday, when the weather was summery warm, I took my students, my smallest ever class of sweet kids, to a park, where they ran through a fountain, climbed up a spider web tower, and later ate cinnamon rolls. We stopped twice before reaching the park to write and wrote twice in the park. When I sat on a bench watching the kids, I felt immense appreciation for these kids, the job I have, and the opportunity to be in the park in the middle of a weekday. The first two weeks have been filled with appreciation every day. For years I have wished to carry the summer feeling to the school, a challenge hard to meet, and this year finally I kind of have managed it. I have purposefully slowed down, monitoring myself not to rush the kids. I haven't given tasks but rather voiced invitations to share, to create, to try, and they have responded so well, with joy and creativity beyond what I expected. We have written a lot together already, plus collected plenty of ideas for future writing, read aloud and individually, talked about poetry, sorted and labeled our classroom library (but didn't move furniture), created art, estimated and counted objects, played games. In the past I used to be hesitant to share the good things because of a strange belief that then the luck would turn. No more. I wish to share the joy I feel, and believe that it is a sign for the whole year, that gratitude creates abundance.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is a beautiful start to the school year!
ReplyDeleteYou are in the zone, Terje. From gratitude flows love for what you have, what you give, and what you can expect. Congratulations on carrying the summer feeling to the school year and capturing the feeling of the hashtag #StartStrong.
ReplyDeleteI haven't kept up with you & your part of the world, Terje. This is a joyful post, and it's so great to hear that you took the kids OUTSIDE! Sorry that the celebration posts aren't so regular anymore. I do miss them, have been very busy with the bookstore, a good thing, but it takes away from what I used to do! Thanks for sharing your beautiful days.
ReplyDeleteYou have so much to celebrate already my friend - here's to more joy in your teaching year.
ReplyDelete