On the third day of the Paws.b mindfulness course the teacher asked us to picture a happy moment, and describe the thoughts, feelings, body sensations, actions and urges. At our table I went last, teacher already counting the end of the sharing session, so I opted for one of my favourite moments: slow Saturday morning, when the whole family is at home, and I am the first one up, a quiet moment. I love small moments of happiness.
What I really wanted to share was my happiness moment in London. This is my "I can't believe I'm here" happiness moment
Walking past the Buckingham palace, two paper bags slightly swinging in my right hand, one with four green teas from The Tea House on Neal’s Street and another with two books from Daunt bookshop on Marylebone Street. Even though I have walked twenty-nine thousand steps already, I feel like stretching out my arms and singing "I feel so alive on the streets of London" like Maria on the hills in the "Sound of Music." Deciding that a musical scene might be a bit bizarre, I tame myself to a light step, soft hum, and a smile matching the warmth of the summer sun. I am 46 years old, mother of three daughters, a teacher, Estonian from a small town, a middle aged woman whose childhood was during the soviet times, and when I read about London in my fifth grade English book, it seemed as distant as the moon, under the “impossible” category, not something you could dream about. So, I didn’t dream. At the start of the New Year London wasn't even a tiny flicker on the horizon. Yet, here I am. In London. The city greeted me kindly, with gorgeous summer weather, full of colour, polite and friendly encounters, quiet early morning streets and merrily flowing crowds in the evenings. I bow in gratitude to my director who sent me here for Paws.b mindfulness at schools course. Staying in Westminster region, not far from Victoria Station, I have walked around quite a bit in the mornings and evenings, with the course taking up most of the day. I’ve seen the Thames River, the Parliament building, the Westminster Abbey, The Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar square, walked down Charing Cross, Oxford Street, and the Mall. I’ve visited The Tea House, several bookshops, the Neal’s Yard, the Covent Garden Market. Happiness is a sense of freedom, heart full of gratitude, the scene of a vibrant summer city, the balance of learning and wandering around, awe at what life brings, me-time free of duties, tea and books.
___________________________________________
London: photos only
Bookshops in London
Your moment of happiness sounds divine! I felt lighter right along with you; your description made me smile. Thanks for sharing your moment with us today!
ReplyDeleteOh, what a beautiful heart-felt moment you've captured here. I felt buoyed by your joy and gratitude. What a great descriptive slice!
ReplyDeleteThe happiness from your post is contagious! I love the image of "Sound of Music" and I'd love to know more about the mindfulness class you're taking!
ReplyDeleteSo happy you had this opportunity. I love how your words bring the streets of London and your joy alive for us!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this wonderful memory! I was in London last summer and your description took me right back.
ReplyDeleteYour joy and happiness radiate throughout your description. It is wonderful when our dreams, even those re didn't think of dreaming, come true.
ReplyDeleteI can feel your joy! What a wonderful happy place.
ReplyDeleteHow marvelous for you to visit London, at last...even better that it is the experience you'd hoped for.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic adventure for you! I felt like I was walking along side of you and filled with your joy.
ReplyDeleteThis is full of happiness, Terje. I like the back story of how you never dreamed you would be in London and here you are. I am celebrating the art of summering today at my blog and I am going to include your photo and words. Let me send you the way I put the two together. Many thanks, my global friend.
ReplyDelete