Pages

Saturday, March 25, 2017

confident enough to be silly


I know that as a teacher it would make sense to write about my students. And there is a lot to write. About the learning. Surprise, surprise - practice makes better. About creating. When you are able to accept the mess of making puppets and backdrops in a tiny classroom  - the result is superb. About emotions. Always about emotions in fourth grade. About a surprise field trip to a Puppet Museum. I could do it - small class, small town, sunshine - I took the kids out on Friday.
This week in the evenings when I wrote drafts for my slices, school slices stayed quiet and other ideas asked to be written, the curiosity, passion, success, power hour. I think you understand.
Yesterday I was too tired to write a draft.
Pleasurably slow Saturday morning hinted a small poetic slice.
This was until I opened the computer and did a quick email-news-instagram-twitter-facebook check.
A silly photo of me screamed for attention on the fb news feed. It already had 75 likes what means that many of you saw it too. I believed that people did not read fb on Friday evenings. Wrong.
How to react? Get upset? Ask the other person to remove the photo?  
I hardly ever post photos on fb and this was certainly one I would have not shared to tell about my life. On instagram I had posted a simple photo of a chair that looked like a human face. On twitter I had posted a collage of the field trip to a puppet museum.
What got the most attention was the photo of me in a big black wig and a fluffy blue skirt. I looked like a poodle.
The students found it funny when the shadow assistant and I tried out the costumes in the puppet museum. They had had so much fun dressing up that the two of us couldn't resist the temptation either. When you are around kids you have to be able to loosen up and be silly at times.
So the photo will remain because is part of my story.
I am the kind of teacher who takes kids to a puppet museum and is ready to be a bit silly.

I celebrate the slices I've written, messy creative classroom, a sunny Friday and a silly picture.

What's fun in your world?

I am on the right



Discover. Play. Build.

13 comments:

  1. It's tough when someone shares something you'd rather keep private. I admire how you handled it! I celebrate your patience and bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok, we all know so much more of your story...and this photo does show how much of yourself you freely give to your students. I am glad you wrote about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminds me of all the ways we share ourselves as a teacher. In the moment, on a fieldtrip and then now in this world where photos can be shared so easily, we have twitter, facebook, instagram. And because of that, those not on there in the moment can feel the silly fun had by all OR those there can relive it. Thanks for sharing, here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHat's life without fun!!!!! My classroom was my stage. Sometimes my kids thought I was too silly. I never agreed. :)
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the happenings to me as a teacher that students seem to love was when I was silly, so I understand the students' love for your dressing up. Posting the pic without your permission is another thing that sounds as if you were uncomfortable, but Diane is right, it shows more than anything what a great teacher you are with your students. Maybe others will take the hint and find a little 'silly' in their own classroom lives. I do love that you're going to make puppets. From the little ones to my middle-schoolers, that's been a favorite project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although it is jot something that you would have posted but I think it created a special bond between yo and your students. Sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I'm glad the photo was posted and you wrote about it. Your 4th graders will forever remember the trip to the puppet museum when their teacher was "silly" in costume. We need laughter in life, even if it is over silly stuff sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great that you embraced this and shared your thinking with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the beauty of teaching. The time to get silly and muck around in creativity. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have to be able to laugh along with the kids and others. What a fun photo and memory this will create for you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally envious of your field trip to the puppet museum. Love that you could celebrate the silly picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great picture, I like your silly side!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terje, I love it when teachers can be silly with students and engage on a passionate level. That chair is incredible.

    ReplyDelete