One is in English, another one in Estonian.
1. The first one was almost ready before I started. All but the top book stood next to each other on my shelf.
How to have great ideas?
Calm
Quiet
Very Good Lives
Daring Greatly
Big Magic
2. The second one is a combination of poetry books, one novel, and two short story collection. This one played around a bit more, adding and taking away titles, arranging and rearranging several times until it felt right. The translating was a bit more challenging. it doesn't translate word to word, but I was able to deliver the idea.
From time to time
Women on journey
At the end of the world
Rain and wine
Short and ordinary stories
A book of closeness
Life poetry
Inviting you to try your own book spine poem poetry if you haven't created it yet this March.
Previous years:
e-book spine poem
post with links to my other book spine poems



It's funny, Terje, but I was just thinking that I hadn't looked at the list I had built up before the SOLC began. I either wrote in a form that flowed naturally for me that day, or I was inspired to write one similar to a post I had read. One of my first was a spine poem and I so enjoyed the challenge. Yours are lovely, particularly the one you translated. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI have one waiting to be published this week. I love the messages these poems send with so few words.
ReplyDeleteThank you for introducing a fun idea I hadn't heard of.
ReplyDeleteI especially like the Estonian "poem."
They are both wonderful, Terje, and I think I like the translated one best, "A book of closeness" is a lovely line!
ReplyDeleteThis kind of post gives such great insight on so many levels. I have always meant to try one, but haven't yet. One day soon.
ReplyDeleteBoth are lovely, Terje - but I was fascinated by the Estonian one. I tried reading the titles out loud - which was fun!
ReplyDeleteGreat fun for the morning! I have not done this one so it might be fun to think about for this week. Yours are great!
ReplyDeleteI love book spine poetry. I have written one already, and I have another one ready for this week. Both of yours are lovely, but I the first one speaks more to me. Maybe it is my age and living a good life, yet daring greatly and with big magic. It is through that life that we get our best ideas! Thank you for lifting me today!
ReplyDelete"Rain and wine" is so evocative to me. These are lovely. I've never had much success with book spine poetry, but maybe I should try again.
ReplyDeleteBook spine poems are so fun! Now I need to go read your post about the e-book poem!
ReplyDelete- Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/
Beautiful entries in our collection of book spine poems. We need to get all of them in one place!
ReplyDeleteThis is very neat. I have never seen this before. My students are really into poetry for Slice of Life. I will have to share this with them. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI love the fact that you wrote one in English and one in Estonian! Both are beautiful. How wonderful that the English titles were just lined up together on your bookshelf, waiting for you, and that one extra title!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI like both but your Estonian translated to English poem arrested my attention--as a poem and because you translated it. I used an online translator to see what it would do with the translation, and as I typed the Estonian words it seemed that there were fewer occurrences of consonants than there is in English. So... I did some reading about Estonian orthography. Very interesting. Thank you for the inspiration, Terje!
ReplyDelete