Pages

Friday, March 24, 2017

power hour

Looking back at my last three slices I am genuinely surprised that a day that I had approached with hesitation gave me more than I thought. I can see how mesmerizing motivational speakers totally hooked me. The rational part of me knows that no books nor presentations can guarantee magical results. Read this, do this and you will be anything you dream of. It makes me chuckle how someone's years of work written in thick books turn into a day of presentations and I easily squish them into two pages. Some injection of enthusiasm and inspiration however gave me energy.

But this is not what I wanted to write about today.

When I went to school this morning a colleague shared how excited she has been reading Kath Murdoch's "Power of Inquiry" on her way to school every morning. This reminded me of Power Hour. One of the ideas Jack Canfield shared was the concept of Power Hour in the morning. Twenty minutes of meditation + twenty minutes of exercise + twenty minutes of inspirational reading. Not novels but something you can learn from, like a book about inquiry. This sixty minutes does not include shower, breakfast and getting ready to go to work. I guess this is why I am not a best selling author and international motivational speaker. I don't get up early enough to fit the full power hour in my morning.  I am happy that I do 10 minutes of sun salutation, eat healthy breakfast, stay calm, and don't leave home without a goodbye kiss to my still sleeping hubby and daughter.

But this is not what I wanted to write about either.

My mom stayed over night yesterday. Since my two older daughters are away, she had a choice of whose bedroom to inhabit. She took the one with bedside light. She said she would go to sleep but I know she probably read into night long after I had fallen asleep. In the morning I got up so early that  she wasn't yet awake. The door was closed but I could imagine her tiny body curled up like a child in a big bed. Power and success seem insignificant when you have mom peacefully breathing under your roof.

This is all for today.

11 comments:

  1. You are a wealthy woman to have that sun salutation, good bye kisses, and mom who can read into the night all under one roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Julieanne said, because she said it so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice
    fav line - I am happy that I do 10 minutes of sun salutation, eat healthy breakfast, stay calm, and don't leave home without a goodbye kiss to my still sleeping hubby and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your morning routine sounds perfect! Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was teaching I didn't have an uninterrupted hour to give to anything, with bringing work home, trying to get to bed early, and getting up with just enough time to do what I needed and get to work. Excuses, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing your ideas about these recent happenings, Terje. It feels to me that when thoughtful, we take what we need, what is possible, and return to what is also the part of our lives we cherish, like our moms sleeping in our house. Beautiful to read this am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much lovely here. I love your reading Mom and your commitment each day to staying calm in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A most reflective piece Terje.The execution of big ideas and the reality and necessity of celebrating small moments are juxtaposed in your piece. You have linked the two across your morning thoughts. Such reflections are both instructive and help to clarify what is truly important in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these snippets from your day show what you truly prioritize in your life and it sounds like a rich one. Lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you wrote a bit and then punctuated it with: "but this is not what I wanted to write about today", and yet all of it needed to be written about today! There is a much shorter version of the Canfield Power Hour, which is just 6 minutes long. It involves a minute each of meditation, reading, writing, affirming, and I can't remember the rest, but I bet you can think of a couple of positives to fill in the last two minutes.

    ReplyDelete