Tuesday, March 29, 2016
When words go hiding
You probably have seen:
61 everyday page titles
or
Daily prompts for each month of the year
or
365 words that inspire
or
52 week gratitude prompts
or
47 journal prompts
or
14 Days of courage
or
April love letters
Photo, scrapbook or journal prompts - there are plenty of ideas for more than a year.
You can write about people and places, things and thoughts, reading and food, questions and answers, not to forget writing about writing.
Walking down the memory lane adds writing ideas.
Lists can become to a rescue. Gratitude list is probably my favorite.
The day is 24 hours long. This should give plethora of slices to write about. Fine, you sleep eight hours, but then you could still have dreams to collect. I don't know about you, but I sometimes have more than one dream. Plus there are waking up moments in the middle of the night when thoughts invade the brain. Just grab a pen and write.
And during the month of March there have been more than hundred slices each day to inspire with topics and structures.
So how come that with all the possible ideas to write about the daily writing is a challenge?
I feel silly to sit down and stare at the white screen, write and delete, close the laptop and walk away, return and continue staring.
Could it be that the words go hiding on some days? I know they are there. For free. For everyone to use. My shelves are packed with words between book covers.
Is it their entertainment to hide and laugh at me seeing me fidgeting and frowning?
Are they offended that I have not written anything in my notebook?
Or they get hurt when I try to write in a hurry without giving them the time to flow and play?
Do they have favorites they prefer to help out?
With years it has become easier to find the words in the daily hide-and-seek writing game. Some of them are more forgiving on the busy days. Or maybe they just feel sorry for me after some time. It could of course be their loneliness that brings them to sit next to me. I wish to believe that some words are playful by nature and are ready to skip on anyone's keyboard.
What the words want most of all is your attention, giving them a lot of time everyday, listening to them, playing with them, showing how valuable they are, appreciating each line they form.
When words go hiding, you can't give up and quit. Well, of course you can quit if you want to. But do you? Or would you rather get started and trust that the words will come?
Labels:
SOLSC 2016,
writing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is great! I wrote a post just like this titled Don't fail me now! So funny - at you did I just started writing. A good posts even when you were stuck! I love the book titles. I don't know some of them so may need to check them out for the next time I am stuck!
ReplyDeleteSometimes, I think that the vast variety of slices just makes our task that much harder. But, we are almost there!
ReplyDeleteSometimes, I think that the vast variety of slices just makes our task that much harder. But, we are almost there!
ReplyDeleteI love the thought that words are playful and that they make you work to find them. You always do find just the right words. They cam out of hiding and skipped across your keyboard today.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the words that "skip" your way, Terje. The sad thing this time is that many would have loved to read this slice at the beginning of March. Although, with two days to go, some may need this just as much now. Thanks for sharing the ideas of what's going on when we write.
ReplyDeleteIt can be really hard! So now just about breathing, hoping and letting the words come! Thanks for sharing your honest reflections here. I enjoyed your words about prompts.
ReplyDeleteThe hide and seek game is only fun when the words pop out! Have fun searching, Terje. You got it covered.
ReplyDelete