Wednesday, March 30, 2016
What was the award for?
Some of you may remember how excited I was for my "one sentence' writer when he showed interest in writing. He wrote a sequel to his Polar Bear story and it's nicely displayed in the Library.
While the writing was improving, he had a continuous trouble with keeping his shoes on. Every single morning and after outside break I had to remind him to put his shoes on. I felt like a shoe police. He sometimes lied to me that he had no shoes. And every time I checked, his shoes were in his school bag. Once he refused to put his shoes on and decided to miss his lunch instead.
Why such a big deal about shoes? Why not let him walk around in the socks? Our school hallways are old and it's easy to get splinters. The cafeteria and bathroom floors are slippery. Just for his own safety he needs the shoes on. One morning, when he walked to the classroom, he stuck his foot forward as a hello to show that he had shoes on. Shoes on, shoes off, shoes on. The time of shoes off lessened.
After writing his Polar Bear stories, he made a picture book about ants who went on adventure when a dog knocked down their ant farm. He struggled a bit with writing and revising, but didn't give up. I felt he had shown the attitude of commitment and wrote him an award. Unfortunately he was absent during the assembly.
When he came back to school, I said I had an award for him and asked whether he knew for what, he answered, "For wearing my shoes?"
Has anyone ever heard of an award for wearing shoes?
Labels:
SOLSC 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Precious slice! I used to have a young man in Sunday School who always took his shoes off and then he would proceed to take off other clothes too! I love that you wrote an award for commitment.
ReplyDeleteAny goal achieved is worthy of an award, I guess that includes shoes. Slowly he begins his journey into this world of school and takes on writing. You are incredibly patient!
ReplyDeleteSide note: we have been to Tallin when we did the Baltic cruise. I really would love to get back to Estonia, just to meet you!
Just left a comment. Don't know if it went through. Will try to leave a generic one again.
ReplyDeleteHmmm... That worked. Argh! The one with meat on the bones didn't. :(
ReplyDeleteBasically, I was saying that this sounds like the seed idea for a picture book. For instance, the boy didn't wear his shoes, until...
I have to laugh and say "If the shoe fits. . ." It's an old saying if you don't know it, meaning if it is appropriate, it's okay. So funny about young children and what they think, what they are pleased with. Glad to hear he's writing, Terje, and wearing his shoes!
ReplyDeleteThis is so funny. What an interesting connection you've made between the shoes and his writing. And what a wonderful connection you've made with this young boy.
ReplyDeleteNo, not an award but I did have a student that liked his shoes off as well. I think it was a sensory thing with this particular student. I know what you mean it isn't such a big deal but the safety issue was a big deal. I'm glad he likes writing better!
ReplyDeleteGreat story! I loved his attitude, though...he certainly notices that you notice his shoe-less state.
ReplyDeleteGreat story! I loved his attitude, though...he certainly notices that you notice his shoe-less state.
ReplyDelete