Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Getting to know the Creative Spirit

"I'll do it. I'll join. I'll write," my colleague, an upper school English teacher, casually says as we pass each other on the stairs. 
She has decided to join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. 
It's crazy and we know it.
Yet.
Exciting. 

People train months for a marathon but I don't think you can train (except for improving your typing skills to be able to write in an extraordinary speed) and be completely ready for the month of daily writing.  So far, at least for me, the lists of possible slices and the scheduling has not made a difference. I still have blank-page-fear moments, my-wonderful-idea-escaped days, my-writing-is-no-good thoughts, nothing-ever-happens-in-my-life moods. The only thing that has helped to write thirty one days in a row has been getting to know my Creative Spirit.

It took me some time to get to know my Creative Spirit. What a character.  It may be that other people have much kinder and softer creative spirits guiding them but mine was tough. And she retired, so now the visits have been few and far between. The more mindful I have to be when she is around.

I know Creative Spirit prefers beautiful sights and long stretches of time. She'd love to go on writing retreats with beautiful scenery and calmness of a Buddhist center. (We never went. I think this is one of the reasons she retired.) March is one of the busiest months for me during the school year. It is important to take some breathing time - drink a cup of tea, go for a walk or take a bath.

What the Creative Spirit hates the most is any form of self-pity. No empathy from her. She considers it to be the most useless time consuming state with no benefits whatsoever. She absolutely prohibited comparing with others and wanted to ban looking at statistics on the blog. She also deleted the criteria for "The Best Blog Post." She won't hand you a sticker or a certificate or even pat you on a shoulder. No need to be perfect or original, to look for approval, but just to try, experiment, play, and accept what comes.

Weight, age, wrinkles, bad hair, dietary habits, or lack of regular exercise don't matter to the Creative Spirit but she insists on sleeping well, getting fresh air, moving regularly to keep oneself healthy.  She herself has a bad habit of visiting during the night sometimes. She says that this is the time when a brain has the least traffic and there is actually room for ideas to wonder. A pencil and  journal next to the bed become handy.

The Creative Spirit doesn't accept any excuses for not writing. (I said she was tough and stingy empathy.) No ideas? Open your eyes. Open your mind. Still no ideas? Go read mentor texts. Steal like an artist. No time? Find time. Make time. No words? Use a dictionary and a thesaurus. Feeling tired? Take a quick break. Stretch. Yawn, but don't fall asleep. So much to do? Keep the essential. Neglect what possible. Stop multi-tasking. Focus on one thing at a time. Set a timer.

Good laugh, celebrations, surprises, gratitude lists, going out, looking for unusual and unexpected, treats and books all rank high in the eyes of the creative Spirit. She strongly encourages getting out of one's comfort zone. "What if.." she winks, and ready or not, something will happen. She invites you on an adventure. Be brave and join.

"I'll do it. I'll join. I'll write," my colleague, an upper school English teacher, casually says as we pass each other on the stairs. 
She has decided to join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. 
It's crazy and we know it.
Yet.
Exciting. 


You can read more slices and share your own at Two Writing Teachers Blog


11 comments:

  1. Love Creative Spirit! Also this: "I still have blank-page-fear moments, my-wonderful-idea-escaped days, my-writing-is-no-good thoughts, nothing-ever-happens-in-my-life moods."

    Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! Ditto!

    Can't wait for the March Daily Slice of Life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first year doing SOLSC, I just jumped in March 1st. I hadn't blogged prior. It worked well for me. It's like dipping your toe in the water or just running & jumping.

    I love your Creative Spirit. She's feisty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is crazy, but so worth it! I love this dialogue because I believe most of us can totally identify with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Creative Spirit should be a little more generous with her praise. Your writing is always thoughtful, stimulating, or just plain entertaining. Glad you have a partner in the challenge. It's so fun to be able to actually have a conversation with someone going through the process with you. So get ready to write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you and your Creative Spirit will be with us for the March Challenge, Terje - I couldn't imagine March without your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you and your Creative Spirit will be with us for the March Challenge, Terje - I couldn't imagine March without your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have more what-am-I-going-to-write-today days than I care to admit. Glad your Creative Spirit is there for you and will not ease up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this I love! Your Creative Spirit and mine should make discussion time dates in the middle of the night. Although just realized your middle of the night is not mine . . . This is a fantastic, fantastic post. Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry she's retired, but it sounds like she has sent in a sub, Terje. I also didn't know that's why I wake up in the night, is that who that is? Maybe your retiree has come over? You are going to be my creative spirit. Today's post has me inspired already, but I have other posts and poems to write first, then I'll jump in! Thanks, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE THIS!! Your creative spirit piece inspires me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terje, Your post reminds me of Elizabeth Gilbert. I hope your muse is kind to you in March and comes sweetly in the morning.

    ReplyDelete