Saturday, February 6, 2016
Celebrate: first steps
Someone who has not been a teacher may not understand how seeing a third grader writing few words causes teachers almost dance in the hallway and is a reason for a celebration. I'll try to explain.
Our school accepts students with special needs. Not all of them are always diagnosed and their needs may show up over a time. A boy in my class has seriously struggled with writing. He is a very good reader, has excellent vocabulary and is able to spell. His writing struggles come partly because poor fine-motor skills, mostly because of his way of thinking, partly because of no interest in writing. I have tried with regular mini-lessons, special structures, guiding questions, various prompts. It has made no difference whether it is fiction, non-fiction, personal or fantasy writing. His usual response is, "I am still thinking." Once I used guiding questions to a picture prompt and combined his short answers to create a sentence. When I recommended him to write the sentence down, he responded, "This was not my idea." Some students write when they can type or at least tell what to write when someone else writes their ideas down. This boy doesn't write even then. We have met with the parents and hired a shadow assistant. Getting him to write is one of the main goals for him this year. So far no progress.
This Wednesday he came to school, took his journal and started writing. My jaw dropped and I felt my eyes pop out from my skull from this unexpected surprise. I rushed to the hallway and invited other teachers to observe this miracle. We smiled broadly and were ready to dance but figured it might disturb the moment.
When I returned, I looked at what he had written. He had listed various superpowers. It was in response to a prompt I had given last week. I took a snapshot and sent it to his dad. Dad's reply was filled with joy.
We all realize that he is nowhere close to third grade writing level. We know he has a long and challenging journey ahead. All journeys start with the first step. So I hope that both teacher and not teachers understand the joy the few words brought.
Labels:
celebrate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Yay for the first step on the journey! The first step is often the hardest!!!! Celebrating moments like that is vital for teachers and students alike!!! Hooray!
ReplyDeleteOh my, I feel your response, too, Terje. However it works, something seems to have just opened up inside that child. Best wishes in it continuing. PS-Have you tried food? Sometimes writing about what you love or hate has been motivating for students in the past.
ReplyDeleteOh I understand this absolutely completely! I find my reluctant writers respond best to list making prompts. Lists seem less intimidating. But the list has to speak to them. One of my little guys wrote a full page of not always decipherable text listing all of the ways he thought people might kill sharks. Turned out that the free reign to write down weapons was what did it. Did it make my human heart happy? Not necessarily! But the thrill of seeing all of that writing effort was fantastic! Thanks for sharing this story this week!
ReplyDeleteI love this story of your young learner and his first step toward being a writer. Big smile being sent back to you.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely understood. YES! Every student deserves a patient teacher like you Terje! One of my favorite writers, Anne Lamott, said this: “I heard a preacher say recently that hope is a revolutionary patience; let me add that so is being a writer. Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: you don't give up.”
ReplyDeleteTruly a moment to celebrate!
ReplyDeleteI do know exactly what you are talking about! I'm dancing with you miles and miles away. Thanks for sharing what make our teacher hearts happy.
ReplyDeleteTruly worthy of dancing!
ReplyDeleteI am a true believer that we only receive things when we are ready for them and this story certainly falls into that category. Your student waited until he was 'ready', which made the celebration all that sweeter. I love that you sent a picture to dad, too!
ReplyDelete