Join the March Slice of Life Story Challenge at Two Writing Teachers.
"What are your hobbies? What do you like to do?" I ask the four women sitting with me. We know each other for a short time from a course. So far the conversations have centered around education. Now, during lunch, between a lecture and group work, I'd like to get to know these women a bit more.
Monika, a vice principal of a small city school, puts down her fork and her face lights up, "I love plants. My home looks like a jungle. I live in an apartment house but I have a flower bed behind the house. I have brought tens of plants to school."
"My whole family is into tennis. We play at least twice a week. My husband and I played already before the kids were born. Now both boys, 5 and 8, play too," Karmen, a principal of a large city school, reveals to us.
Aivi, a principal of two country schools, smiles "I am part of two folk dance groups. I dance alone in the women group and with my husband in the mixed group."
"I used to dance, but not anymore," Kaia, a teacher trainer, chimes in, "Now I am part of a puppet theatre group. It's super fascinating. What about yourself?"
"My husband and I have taken ballroom dancing lessons for more than 10 years. And I write," I share.
Having a hobby is vital for a teacher and school leader. Endless demands and issues, the cycle of planning and reflecting, thousand elements to think about, and mostly the relationships can keep the mind and heart occupied for hours and hours and hours. Passionate educators could easily become consumed, burnt, swallowed by their jobs. For the sake of health they need to step out of school life and open up for something completely unrelated. Besides health benefits a hobby makes people more interesting.
What's your hobby?

I think hobbies change over time. My hobbies, right now, include family historical research and working out. Our family hobby would be baseball - whether it is watching our boys play, watching games on tv or going to games!
ReplyDeleteYou make such a good point. I also agree with the commenter above. When my children were small I smocked dresses for them. I also loved to bake. Now I am too busy for baking. There have been years when I'm really into vegetable gardening and knitting. Great post.
ReplyDeleteWe do need something that is out of the realm of teaching to help keep us grounded. You've given me an idea for a post when the well runs dry and there is nothing else to write in my head. Thank you friend. Would you still say I write if you hadn't joined five years ago? I know I wouldn't be writing.
ReplyDeleteKnow what you mean when you find out more about a person other than their immediate "job." People pleasantly surprise me all the time. Good to read your posts again, Terje.
ReplyDeleteSuch interesting hobbies everyone has. Hobbies are a great way to unwind. One thing I like to do is work with plastic canvas. I like to watch a design come out as I work.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the ideas behind this post. I would have liked to be introduced to the people a little bit more--what they look and sound like. I felt like Monika came across the most vividly, but it may be that's just the way she talks.
ReplyDeleteI like to hike and travel, but should probably work on having more day-to-day hobbies, especially when the weather is bad.
I really liked the ideas behind this post. I would have liked to be introduced to the people a little bit more--what they look and sound like. I felt like Monika came across the most vividly, but it may be that's just the way she talks.
ReplyDeleteI like to hike and travel, but should probably work on having more day-to-day hobbies, especially when the weather is bad.
Terje, you're absolutely right: being a teacher could occupy every minute of the day if we let it. I love to knit and, when the weather cooperates, go for walks. Thanks for this important reminder!
ReplyDeleteHobbies have saved me many times from a burnt-out that fellow teachers have suffered. Hobbies bring balance, and of course, ideas for our writing life!
ReplyDeleteYou met some very interesting people! This is so true - we have to be fascinating people with interests that spark our thinking in order to be our best at teaching. Thanks for sharing this insight!
ReplyDeleteYou make a good point, Terje...but I can only respond with: teaching and its many facets. Perhaps this is because I came to this career later in life, and now there is only so much energy. I did love reading about everyone else's hobby though.
ReplyDeleteI used to sew and quilt and I truly miss it. Now, reading and writing seem to have taken top hobby priority. I love relaxing at the end of the day with either one. They are my escape.
ReplyDeleteThis lesson is one that took me too long to learn. I paint. I make things. I run. It is so vital to my work as a teacher that I have other interests. It is also vital to my marriage that my husband and I each have hobbies!
ReplyDeleteNow this question gets us to share our passions. Hobby... simple...
ReplyDeleteMusic, guitar... so much more...
You are so right. I am consumed by teaching and learning and trying to be the best me I can be in the classroom. Then I'm also a full time mom. That takes lots of time and reading too. Is Pinterest a hobby? That's easy to click and pin. Click and pin. Writing is sort of a hobby, I guess. I'm guessing hobbies change with the seasons of life -- perhaps I should think about when I get more me-time, how would I want to spend it? A question to ponder ...
ReplyDeleteI'm right here with you, M.
DeleteIs watching the kids compete in volleyball and soccer a hobby?
Love hearing about the "other" lives of educators. Often they don't have much time, but it's good to make some time for our selves. You know I love to write, but have been sketching/painting again, just for me, sometimes in class. Thanks Terje!
ReplyDelete