Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Day 4: mundane mornings





Eyes half closed, sitting on the edge of a bathtub, Mary brushes her teeth like a robot, hand moving automatically back and forth, up and down. Rinsing her mouth she thinks how similar all mornings are -  the waking up in the darkness, the sleepy stretching in PJ-s, the monotonous teeth brushing, cold splash of water, minimal mascara, boiling water in the kettle, filling a little red tea pot, eating breakfast, drinking a cup of green tea, wake-up-goodbye-kiss to hubby, keep-sleeping-good-bye kiss to the youngest daughter, hauling the school bag on her shoulder, clutching the car keys, unlocking the door, leaving everyone behind to drive to work.

The similarity of one morning to another, the uneventful passing of time, the mundane actions, nothing noble, global, deep or detrimental call for an overall title "Boring." Yet, Mary feels that these mornings matter. Mary kind of likes the routine - everything in place, the quiet, no rush, no pressure of choices. The tiny bit of variation comes from what tops a sandwich or what flavor the tea has (tomato-cheese sandwich and creamy lemon tea today). Oh, the clothes too. Even though Mary's mind is not in full gear and she doesn't practice mindfulness, she feels that these mornings are a type of meditation, keeping her calm, centered, and setting her ready for a day.

Mary wonders how many women over the world are going through the same motions, catch similar fleeting thoughts, feel the same calmness. Then she thinks of her friends with little kids and remembers that her own mornings used to be with crazy pace and requiring full attention. The mornings of her retired parents are with a different flow. And Saturday and Sunday morning slowness has a brighter warmer feeling than workday mornings. And the alarm clock ringing for a teenager wishing for more sleep may color the morning with annoyance. And the morning of a little child waking up with wonder and energy spurs action from the very start.

Mary's thinking doesn't take her anywhere. She acknowledges that mornings change as we age. She makes a mental note to write a slice about this.

(Mary story 2014)

16 comments:

  1. Hopefully, Mary will become more attached to life as she wakes up! Nice piece, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mornings are a time of meditation for me as well as for Mary. Love how you wrote this in 3rd person!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice move to 3rd person Terje. You open up the experience to consider the universal and particular. So often Slicers, me included, write about the romance of the early morning but here Mary is torn and the the routine details make this so authentic. I am torn too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please continue your story of Mary............

    ReplyDelete
  5. Routines are a part of our lives and do change as we get older and move on to different stages. But, I find that routines are good and keep me on track even though I could always do it tomorrow. Sometimes we just need a change of attitude. Thanks for sharing Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would beg for a Mary morning every one in awhile. But then I'd miss my real life mornings. I don't believe that Mary's thinking doesn't take her anywhere. I believe she has more to say. And I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There does get to a point in life when mornings, afternoons, and evenings all follow the same pattern. Some find sameness comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post! It is so profound to realize the purposefulness in our routines. I have found that I perform better as I stay quiet and focused in the morning.Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mornings are similar to Mary's since my children are pretty self-sufficient. We run schedules like a machine, everyone has a time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand Mary's comfort with the routine of her mornings - "everything in place, the quiet, no rush, no pressure of choices." - I LOVE this. But..... what happens when the routine is no longer fulfilling....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel rather content with the morning routine, and make changes when needed so it won't feel tedious, but recognize Mary's life too. When I want some new things happening, I make new plans, even in the morning! This will be interesting to see what else Mary has to say, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Mary came out to play.

    Mornings -- I love getting up before the rest of the world. I love sipping and reading and praying and writing in the day.

    And tomorrow, I'm going to love thinking about my friend -- on the other side of the globe -- going through a morning routine.

    Glad you are writing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting to play with perspective and imagine someone else's life - even the way they choose to begin the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So interesting to play with perspective and imagine someone else's life - even the way they choose to begin the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "She makes a mental note to write a slice about this." This ending is sooooo clever. I am tickled by this slice. I want to be Mary's friend.

    ReplyDelete

  16. Terje, your writing is always so moving.
    I enjoyed reading the responses to your words.

    Mornings definitely change as we age.

    ReplyDelete