Inspired by Christy's post and the different book spine poems
The books in my home have a tendency to escape form the shelves and have casual gatherins around the apartment.
The books on the bedside table are civil and patient, waiting for their time to be read. Some are young and freshly out of the bookstores, others have seen the world with their different owners.
Then the professional books like to chat during their PD meetings on the kitchen table that changed a career, stopped serving food and became an office table instead. It still stays in the kitchen and curiously listens how old and experienced books change ideas with the younger ones.
The children books like to have festivals on the floor next to my bed. They get to leave the shelf in groups, getting their pages flipped and the pictures pointed at with little fingers. They like that their stories are read out loud. Oh, they are clever. They know that people are too tired in the evening to put them back and way too busy in the morning to notice them. They have a secret hope that people would be occupied with tons of things, so they wouldn't get to the word "cleaning" on their to-do list too often, and the party can grow and continue.
Sometimes the children books hang out on both sides of the bed.
As we all know the little follow the example of the big. So the small books have started their own play dates and pajama parties on Mimm's bedside table. Sometimes they invite guest books for bed time stories.
Sadly the parties have to end sometimes. For example on Saturday mornings the books left on the shelves call out: "Come back, come back. Next time it is our turn."
The only books that have some discipline are the cook books. They leave the shelf only during a day and in orderly manner. They may get some grease and flour stains but they usually return before the end of the day. They sometimes get to visit the living room and are allowed to stay overnight.
After I took the pics of the escaping books I asked for volunteers for a book spine poem. Most of the books are in Estonian and they are too timid to make an appearance. Besides thoughts might get lost in translation. The books in English are minority. I was lucky to find some brave (or vain) volunteers.

Very clever...glad to know our house is not the only one that has books breaking out of orderly book shelves.Loved your descriptions and photos too. I have some books that always stay off the shelf...they hold up some too short lamps on bedside tables!
ReplyDeleteTerje, what a fun post this was to read. I love the personification of the books. There are so many parts that gave me a chuckle throughout. Your final call for volunteers to create the spine poem had me laughing out loud as I pictured the books saying "Use me, use me," and the Estonian books hanging back. Another creative twist from a genius mind.
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post. A very clever use of photos + words to tell the story. Do you scrapbook? I could see this as a page.:)
I might have to try a similar post...I have photos of book stacks all over our house for a presentation I did a couple of months ago. It'd be great to organize it like this.
Happy reading,
Ruth
PS -- I'm honored to see Day by Day in your book spine poem. Thanks!
Love how you personify the plotting of the books! It made me laugh-especially the children's books! We have the same plot line going with kam & nattie's book baskets!
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed how the books had personality!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful story of and by books. I like the part where books are allowed to lay on the floor until the next party.
ReplyDeleteFestivals on the floor - oh yes, I like this perspective. It's fun to hear the books' points of view. Very beautifully crafted! This one goes in my notebook.
ReplyDeleteI too was excited to see Day by Day in your stack. :)
I really enjoyed reading this story of books! It does my heart good to know that my book piles are not alone. I often look around my house with eyes as you used in your story. The eyes that can appreciate the book piles for what they are...festivals and happy gatherings. Sometimes I look around with different eyes, tired eyes, and see only the need to restore order to those books. It seems on those days that the bookshelves are even in disarray. I'm glad your eyes saw good in the stacks today. Happy Saturday and happy reading!
ReplyDeleteYou are so clever, Terje! You not only listen to the people around you, but you listen to all the world around you. I love the playful way these stacks give us a glimpse into the rhythm of your life as a reader.
ReplyDeleteThis was so fun! I love the personalities and professions the books expressed in your post. I have shared your post with my family and we went around the house looking at all the book parties that were going on here and there!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite posts! I too have escaping books. I never thought of it this way before. What a great job you did. You captured so many ideas with lots of humor. thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteIt's such a creative idea to have your book stacks tell 'their' story, Terje. I love that you had such characterizations throughout, and the Estonian books were so perceptive as to hold back, allowing the English titles to take the lead. I also adored the little part about the cookbooks-very fun. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteThis is so creative I'm going to have to try it, it's a challenge. It's funny, the book that stuck out in one of the first photos was "Child of Wonder" and I knew you would put that in! Love it!
ReplyDelete