Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

The sun always shines on Sunday

When the sky is covered with thick gray clouds, the wind is fierce and bullies the trees, and pouring rain claims to stay for a day, I know that my Sunday morning breakfast is vitally important. The moaning and complaining over the depressing weather would kill the Sunday joy. Some magic is in order.
Get a bowl and a whisk
mix some eggs, milk and flower
add a pinch of salt and a spoonful of sugar
pour a thin layer of batter all over a hot greasy pan,
fry from both sides until golden brown,
put on a plate,
top with grandma's raspberry jam,
and Voila!
You have a smiling sun for a Sunday.

Don't listen to the scientific specialists who say that pancakes have no nutritional value. Listen to the wise moms and grannies who know that the traditional Sunday (or Wednesday) pancakes have very high emotional value.


18 comments:

  1. Thanks. You captured the something special about breakfast on a sunday morning, - In our house it is bacon and eggs. On the healthy food scale not as far along as pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anne. You did capture something special about a Sunday breakfast. In our house there are a few favorites, one being pancakes (I use buttermilk) another bacon and eggs, and occasionally omelets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! Can I come over for a smiling happy Sunday breakfast? Sounds delicious! And yes, I love pancakes any day of the week -- breakfast, lunch or dinner! Oh, and topped with raspberry jam! Yum! I know what I'm having for breakfast this morning! Thanks for the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our house it was French toast that made us all connected. Made with stale bread and lots of cinnamon....it had tremendous emotional value! And less than 1000 calories if you were light on the syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our house we have pancakes more for dinner than breakfast, but they always make us happy (even when they are whole wheat)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terje,

    Pancakes are obviously food for the soul. Food has always been connected with the heart. Not only are you making memories for your family. But you have helped the rest of us re-connect with our own memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had someone to make pancakes with! Making pancakes for yourself seems a bit odd...especially because I always have tons left over. Pancakes aren't really the best leftover food, you know? Your post has given me the idea to have a brunch party and make pancakes with my friends. :) Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the wind is fierce and bullies the trees" awesome line! I agree pancakes, or any other comfort food are nutritionally perfect for our souls. Our souls need feeding too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This line was so vivid, "the wind is fierce and bullies the trees." Definitely a day made for pancakes. You turned a recipe into a poem. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this line, "top with grandma's raspberry jam,"

    There is something about grandmas that make everything special. I don't typically like pancakes, but when my grandma made them, I was all over them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your word choice and your choice of topic went together to make my tummy rumble. There is definitely something special about those special family meals. Thanks, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much great language in this slice! You are a wise momma. I am going to have a craving for pancakes now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! There is something about comfort food. My kids ask for BFD (breakfast for dinner) every few weeks and they always want pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am with you here - pancakes are an important part of the weekend ritual

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how your poem captured the joy that doing something for your family brought you. I bet everyone appreciated the pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right pancakes are a little bit of magic! We like to put chocolate chips in ours and a big bowl of strawberries and fresh pinapple. Kids love to see a pineapple. It was a tradition whenever we had nieces and nephews over and now with our own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got it! And I agree wholeheartedly. But I wish we had a little rain here in Colorado! Nicely put!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved the image of the wind bullying the trees and I could hear the sound of the batter hitting the griddle! And what a nice contrast of the inside and outside. My daughter made pancakes for the family this morning too - though our weather was sunny.

    ReplyDelete