Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2026

tooting my own horn

Dressed, standing in a narrow hallway and ready to step out of the door, while saying the last goodbyes to the lovely women I had spent a self-care, read poetry-write-and-dance day with, I felt the need to share something that has made me happy and proud.

"May I toot my own horn?" I ask the others.

"Go ahead!" they encourage.

"A book that I contributed a chapter too is among the 25 most beautiful books in Estonia and last week also got the first place from Tallinn University educational books category," I share. 

"Oooh!" "Congratulation!" "What's the book about?" 

"We wrote about teaching handwriting, especially cursive to children through art and considering their needs. It also includes some science and history and lots of pictures. The main author is an art teacher with PhD and she set the standard for the quality, not budging a bit when the  publishing company wanted to save money by doing less or differently.  My contribution is my story as a fourth grade teacher and being a cheerleader to others," I explain. 

"Next time you come, bring the book," the hostess invites. 

This kind of sharing is unnatural for me as Estonian. We have been trained to be modest. Maybe because my contribution is small and my friend was the main author it is easier to celebrate. The book is really awesome. Seeing it on the book shelf in the bookstores was incredibly exciting.  I hope it will be translated into English. 

In the order of appearance from the left: Sirje (first grade teacher), Edna (art teacher and the main author), me, Margit (first grade teacher).  





15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment. Estonia is on my list to visit. Always so impressed by Eurovision contestants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. You have made it as a published co-author. Keep sharing the good news...it's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something to celebrate and share. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad YOU took time to "toot your own horn"! And your book's topic is one I have been thinking lots about lately. In my public school, my students don't seem to be learning any kind of handwriting :( They can't read curvise and often do not have legible print. I hope your book is translated into English as I is needed in the US. Thanks for adding the photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! How wonderful. Definitely toot your own horn. You deserve it. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That is really wonderful. You should be proud. I love that you spent the day with women for a "self-care, read poetry-write-and-dance day ." That sounds truly amazing. I was in Estonia on a cruise stop and it was so magical. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I too hope it was be translated into English. Currently working with my Grandson on cursive since his printing is terrible. He likes the cursive and will following directions on how to create the letters. We will see if it helps. Suggestions welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Terje!! That's wonderful and so important that you were insistent on sticking with your plan to include lots of pictures. Also delighted to recognize Sirje who was just here a couple of months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the hardest things for me as a writer (and an introvert) is tooting my own horn. Congratulations! You should be proud and realize that others only want for you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Toot your own horn as long and as hard as you like! Congratulations! I am really interested in your work. I wish that book was in English! TOOT! TOOT! HOORAY 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! In a world full of people tooting their horns for ridiculous things, I’m so glad you had the confidence to share this worthy contribution!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terje, that is definitely toot worthy news! Congrats on your part in this delightful book we hope makes its way into English.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I will echo the other comments in saying I'd love to read your book. I wish I knew Estonian!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on being published! And a double congratulations for teaching cursive as an art. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, my friend. Here is the US we also take pride in our writing and make sure everyone knows about it. Keep on writing and let us know.

    ReplyDelete