I am sitting in my daughter's tiny rented apartment in the city. I sometimes use it as a "home office" when she's at uni and I have other meetings in the city. Today I have a school visit in the afternoon, so I had to plan the office in the city to manage a zoom call into the schedule.
My plan was to write early in the morning like I have done for the first half of the writing challenge. My writing usually happens before eight o'clock.
Somehow today I needed a bit more sleep, it took me a bit longer to exercise, and overall I seemed to be slower in moving around and gathering what I needed for the day. By eight o'clock I hadn't written a word. Hadn't even opened the blog.
So I changed my plan to take the next train to get the writing done before leaving home.
I made the mistake to check work emails first, and then it was necessary to answer some of them. This took longer, so eating breakfast was left to the last minute before train. No time to sit down. The sandwich found its way to my mouth in between ironing a shirt and packing a bag.
The new change of plans was to seat myself in first class and write on the train. More comfortable seats, a table with sockets and usually less people make the first class carriage worth the higher ticket price.
"Hi, Terje! Come here!" I heard as I entered the train. A woman whom I know from Monday dance lessons smiled broadly and gestured towards a seat next to her. She is retired. Instead of being a doctor she bakes and does handicraft. Her cookies with condense milk filling are delicious.
Changing plans. No writing on the train. Having a nice chat instead.
So today's writing happened some before the zoom call, some after. The slice topic changed too.
Change is the only constant isa known saying. I understand it. It's likely that tomorrow and on Wednesday too my writing time is later in the day. The important thing is to remember to write.

I love the way you could pivot depending on what the day delivered. We had a story in our 6th grade anthology that mirrored this sentiment with the wise words, "Change is the law that binds us all." I find the older I get, the longer it takes to do the routine things. Is it just because I have the privilege to dawdle if I want?
ReplyDeleteI liked feeling as though I was with you as you moved through your morning, not writing. I was hoping that retirement would help me be more focused on writing; however, I am always happy to be distracted by a chat with a friend.
ReplyDeleteIt's all about being flexible. arjeha
ReplyDeleteI love the reflective nature of this slice. We got some insight into your normal writing routine, as well as what broke up your routine today. I like that you were flexible and went with the flow, writing when you were able to do it. Thanks for the glimpse into your day!
ReplyDeleteFlexibility is key! I started this challenge soooo proud of myself for writing the night before & setting the publish time in the morning. Then, one night I couldn't finish. Since then I've been all over the place with my timing. Now I'm on vacation, so maybe I'll get my rhythm going again. The important thing is to write. And the other important thing is to sit with a friend, especially if she makes delicious cookies!
ReplyDeleteYou found a slice in your adventure which is what this challenge is all about, imo! The goal is to TRY to write, again imo!
ReplyDelete