Pages

Monday, March 3, 2025

the way things play out

"Can I pay with a card?" I inquire from the librarian who has helped me to print out some materials since I don't have a printer in my home office yet.

"Sorry, cash only," she answers apologetically. It is rather unusual in Estonia that cash is the only option. Almost everything is paid with a card or an app on a phone. Cash is a rarity in wallets, if you have wallets, because money also has moved into a phone.

I check my wallet, and it holds only some sad coins, not enough to buy even a cinnamon bun. 

"Do I leave anything here or do you trust me while I run for money?" I ask her.

"I'll wait," she smiles.

Before I leave, I notice a book with purple covers with an illustration of a lilac blossom on her desk. Last time the same author published a book with red covers and a picture of a poppy. 

"You have Tiina's new book? Have you read it?" I ask. 

"Not yet, it just came in. I was about to put it in the system. You can have it when you return," she suggests.

"Yes, please."

I hurry home that is only five minutes away. Lucky me to find some bills in another purse.

I return to the library, pay for the printing service, and receive a book. 

I like the way things play out.




11 comments:

  1. What could be better than getting first dibs on a new book at the library? Not having enough cash to pay for the printing services really did work out in your favor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. Glad things worked out for you. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to accomplish a task and find a new book. Now I have a new author to check out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful how your no-cash situation led to a serendipitous check out! Sometimes the stars align for us. Glad you captured it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the translation to that book? Is it poetry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilac Stiletto. The poppy book was poetry. This one has short stories.

      Delete
  6. Terje, how nice. Your post shows this pleasant interaction, such human kindness. "I like the way things play out." is a perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You capture a moment in 2025 where actual cash is required. I'd be like you with an empty wallet. However, I'd have to go find an ATM because I am sure there is no cash anywhere at my house! So glad your extra effort gifted you with a new book!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad things played out well, and I have to say I absolutely adore the wording of this line: "I check my wallet, and it holds only some sad coins, not enough to buy even a cinnamon bun." Alas! It feels so comitragic - not even enough for the bun!

    ReplyDelete