Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2025

pretty messy

With a two-day workshop coming up on Thursday, my living room looks chaotic in the preparation process. I have large poster papers, bunch of draft papers, a basket of post-its, piles of books, and a bag of markers on the floor, several books on the windowsill and notebooks on the sofa. The surrounding around the laptop on a table has bits and pieces also. 

I am deeply thankful for having a home office, for this kind of mess would be impossible in a shared workspace. For me the mess is a necessary part of the creative process. 

Sometimes the creative preparation mess could swallow me the whole. I could get pulled in for hours. This wouldn't be healthy in any office. So I take pauses. 

One of the pauses I took was for taking a photo of the pretty flowers on a table. My husband brought these home from a countryside. In English the flower is called hellebore. In Estonian "lumeroos" - snow rose. 

So even though the living room is pretty messy, in the mess of it all I have some pretty flowers. 


7 comments:

  1. There is a difference between a mess and an organized mess. You are in the process of preparing, so it is not a mess. Instead, it is a gathering of essential materials needed for a presentation. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful flowers! :) I know how much work prepping for a workshop is...I hope all goes well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are gorgeous, and your post reminds me of both the "mess" I often had in my classroom, and the ones I have now in my home office and around my house. My husband and I both have home offices, but the poetry committee work I now do has extended to every room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preparation mess is the best kind of mess! The flowers offer a visual contrast to the chaos you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "For me the mess is a necessary part of the creative process." I so agree with this thought! Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work in the same way, and there is always something beautiful amidst the chaos and at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the hellebore is beautiful! And I love that you take a break from the mess.

    ReplyDelete