Sitting on my living room sofa on this rainy Sunday morning, the morning of turning clocks forward, an incomprehensible continuous tradition that will mess with people's sleep habits for weeks to follow, I am determined to find music for Leigh Anne's Slicer Music Festival.
I am easily distracted. Following yesterday's the first truly warm spring day the rain is disappointing. It doesn't bother a crow who sits on a top branch of a birch tree and gently swinging looks over the area. At first my eyes deceived me to see it as a duck, so fat and round it was, but the brain quickly corrected this ridiculous notion. The crow is quiet. Surprising, considering how the crows usually are the loudest ones around.
I keep drinking green tea. I finished eating two leftover slices of salmon-broccoli quiche and now am contemplating whether to eat a piece of leftover cake also. I ate in silence, almost silence, for the rain tapping on the windowsill creates steady rhythm.
Choosing the songs for the party is a challenge for me, so much that I have left joining the party for the last minute. I don't listen to music much. I don't have a radio at home, I don't have a Spotify account, and putting on CDs is not a habit either. Usually when I drive, I don't listen to my car radio neither.
There was a time last May when I listened to a song and sang along loudly on a long drive from a school visit. This is the first song I'll take with me. Billy Joel's Piano Man. The sing-along experience inspired me to write a Substack post. It is interesting how one song transported me three decades back to a Greyhound bus taking me from Washington DC to Bowling Green, Kentucky. In addition it reminded me how my boyfriend, now husband, got a wrong CD as a gift for me.
I know now what the second song could be. Last Friday my hubby and I went to listen to a concert in a local culture house. We had seen the singer once before on her very first public concert when people knew her as an actress faous for her role as a young witch in a children's TV show. The first time she sang it was just her and her guitar on the stage. This time the stage included a piano, drums and a stand with four guitars and a banjo and five people altogether. The songs though were still similar - sweet, melodious and relatable. The song I am choosing for the party is called In Dreams and starts with the lines "In my dreams I dance on the tables. Mari Jürjens (skip ad)
Following this, the third song can't be anything else than Pink's Never Gonna Not Dance Again. During my coaching studies, when I was going through some complicated times at work, this song was a power boost to reclaiming my strength and spark. This is a song I chose when my supervisor asked to represent where I was in my life at this point.
We will listen to the piano man and some guitar and then we are going to dance. I am glad I have chosen the pieces for the party and can now join others at Leigh Anne's place.
Thank you for this slice. I had missed the invite to the Slicer Music Festival. I am now thinking of what I will bring. Stay tuned.
ReplyDeleteI too had forgotten about the Slicer Music Event and now I only have one more day to celebrate!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your story. I've looked for Leigh Anne's 'party' all month and somehow missed it. And, I love the Piano Man, too.
ReplyDeleteI missed Leigh Anne's announcement- like you I do not listen to tons of music. I listened to your choices and love them!
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued by all of this, but especially the wrong CD that your husband got you as a gift. What is the story there, and does it live on in the music? Do tell!!
ReplyDeleteOne year when I asked to get a Billy Joel CD collection for my birthday, he gifted me Chris Rea’s CD instead. We never solved the puzzle of this thought transformation.
DeleteBilly Joel anything is a good choice for a party. I still sometimes think of when we saw him in concert. What a show! arjeha
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your honesty about wondering what even one song might be since you don’t spend loads of time listening to music. I can connect to this. But then 3 songs came to you and each seem to be connected to their own slice! Thanks for the nudge to turn to music if stuck at what to write. I’ll make a note to myself to write to this prompt in the future. For now, happy we are making it to the end of March with lovely writing! I’ve enjoyed reading your Alice’s this month. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI am a big Billy Joel fan, so I love your first choice. P!NK's hometown is only about 20 minutes from me, and I love her music too. I missed Leigh Anne's invitation, but I still may need to write a slice with my song choices.
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteI love music, but like you, I don’t listen to it often. I do like the songs you chose. I’m a big enough Pink fan to have splurged on a concert right before the pandemic. I sometimes drag my husband to concerts, and he loved seeing Pink, too. I need to check out Leigh Anne’s music festival. I didn’t see the original post. Looks like I’ll arrive super late.
Terje, I like how you decided to write this post and made yourself think of some songs for it. It seems as you got going, you thought of ones that were meaningful in interesting ways. I'm like you in that listening to music is not a priority, but I do have some stories about certain songs. Like Glenda, I'm going late to Leigh Anne's music festival!
ReplyDelete