Looking at the sun shining on tulips in a vase, I felt warmth travel through my body. Even though the final days of February are still cold and snowy, the store bought flowers and morning sun made me chant "Bring the spring in." I grabbed for a phone to take a photo and share the light and colour on Instagram.
"This is what a slice of life is all about - staying in a small moment, noticing something simple," I thought to myself.
And then in a flash of a moment my thoughts went from this springy beauty to remembering it was Tuesday and slice of life sharing and that March writing challenge was starting soon and that I had also signed up for an online writing course at the same time.
"I must be nuts," was my generous self-assessment of myself when I realised that I had joined a writing course and signed up for a writing challenge in March.
"March will start in four days, now it's time to panic," part of me started to make me nervous.
"You are allowed to back off, " a second part of me offered to retreat.
The first part - the writerly part, the nuts one - didn't budge.
I listed all the supportive arguments for going forward with the plan:
- I have fourteen years of experience with March SOLSC challenge
- Writing for a course would likely give some ideas for slice writing or maybe not
- Experience shows that it makes no difference whether I prepare or don't for the challenge, there will still be days when writing comes easily and others when it is a trudge
- Keeping it simple, truly picking small slices, will keep it manageable
- There are formats that help, e.g right now, books spine poem, lists of lists
- The community is super encouraging
I am as ready as I will get. I will do the best I can with self-compassion if it is not the best. I will approach March with ease and playfulness.

"with ease and playfulness" We could all use more of this! Thank you for the reminders about SOLSC because I was starting to panic even though I am not taking a course at the same time :)
ReplyDeleteThose tulips are lovely and I love the way the sun is illuminating them as if they were limelight on a stage. I think with the upcoming start of the SOL Challenge everyone is kind of panicking and scrambling. I know there are a few tried and true formats that everyone uses every year. And like you said the community is very encouraging. I feel like Day One is like the first day of school. Everyone is excited to see old friends and welcome new ones.
ReplyDeleteI love your tulips and agree-keep the writing simple with small slices. :)
ReplyDeleteI’m going to repeat these pointers to myself and concentrate on the distraction I hope the challenge will offer. Lovely photo, too.
ReplyDeleteI am all for small slices during March. With so many posts to read daily during the month, short slices make the reading easier and faster. I look forward to reading your daily posts. I plan on writing every day during the month, but if something happens and I skip a day, I will not beat myself up. arjeha
ReplyDeleteI love your spirit and confidence in your choice of words, "with ease and playfulness," It has been a hard season to write with family, friends and so many in the world suffering and I was thinking of bowing out; however, as it gets closer and closer, I feel compelled to put thoughts into words and to approach teaching and writing as you said, "with ease and playfulness," Looking forward to your adventures, always.
ReplyDelete