Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2024

The signs of fall

How come we celebrate the first sunshine in spring but don't think much of the sun in fall? Could it be that we are mourning the end of summer? Or are we so dreading the darkness and cold and forever rain that we have just given up on the sun? The questions ran through my head on my daily walk and then I decisively stopped, turned my face up to the sun and closed my eyes. The sun warmly and gently stroke my cheeks. 

How come that some people love fall? Celebrate everything about it? And for me the fall seems to carry sadness and symbolises ending even though all the colours and fruits and vegetables speak of abundance and gifts? Does it have anything to do with my age? The changes in my life? More questions appear and I open my eyes to look around at the beauty of the day. I walk down to the river and watch the maple leaves gently float by. 

How precious it is to have this moment on the last day of September. 



7 comments:

  1. I don't think we have had one sunny day here since fall began. I could use some sunshine. I do like fall for its beauty, but there is a melancholy feel to it as I get older. I am sure my age has something to do with that. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still experiencing highs in the 90s with plenty of sunshine. I love the concept of fall because we typically skip right from summer to winter. =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terje, this line has me pausing to remember sunshine's warmth: "The sun warmly and gently stroke my cheeks." This is one of the beautiful moments in your slice. Your photo has me wishing I was gently floating down the river under the sun's canopy. Have a beautiful fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall SO much! I think it's because I associate it with school starting, and now that I'm retired, I can enjoy its arrival fully—without stealing time from work. Today as I headed from my swim to the car, the sun swaddled us here on the Oregon Coast. I paused before I entered my open car door, and did exactly as you described, "turned my face to the sun and closed my eyes." What a benediction that moment became.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one who has always celebrated fall and all the magic it brings in terms of color and excitement. Not only does it herald back to school and piles of crisp leaves, the feel of a just out of the drawer sweater or a dusty bathrobe always make me fell happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fall, but also feel its poignancy. Right now I keep leaning into our sunny days, enjoying the still-warm sun and the ever changing colors. I enjoyed sharing this moment with you and LOVE that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Terje, this is beautiful. I do like fall, although, it is always bittersweet as the days grow shorter and colder. The maple leaf in the water is gorgeous. Enjoy your days of fall and the sweet sunshine that warms.

    ReplyDelete