Sitting on my living room sofa on Friday afternoon, my mind and heart still swirling with the experience of giving a two day workshop to ten experienced educators, fabulous workshop, filled to brim with great discussions, my heart warm with gratitude, and my suitcase of materials still unpacked, the phone rings.
"Will you come to the countryside tomorrow?" my sister asks.
"I don't know," is my honest answer. I can imagine that doing absolutely nothing but sitting on the living room sofa might be the most desirable option for the next day.
"You'd love the sauna. There's still hay to trim from the corner of the garden. We have tons of apples for the apple pie," my sis lists reasons to go. All of them related to my husband not me. He is the one who trims the hay, heats the sauna and bakes the apple pie. How could I deprive the others from my husband's delicious apple pie.
"If we come, probably after twelve o'clock. Would he have time to get all done?" I wonder.
"Say, we can heat the sauna," I can hear my mom on the background.
"We'll take care of the sauna. I'll pick and chop the apples," my sister offers.
"So, the cake is the most important thing," I checked.
"Yes!"
Of course we went to the countryside. Of course there was cake.
Cake by my hubby. Photo by my sis.
First, your photo is an inspiration! It is just starting to feel like Fall where I live and I am starting to think about apples baking in one form or another. I just love hearing all the voices of your family in this piece, as they pull you from your sofa, as they cooperate and compromise. And in the end there is your husband’s cake. Aside from the value of family, there is also that reason!
ReplyDeleteOf course cake is the most important thing. It looks delicious. Sometimes, to get what you want, in this case the cake, compromises must be made. arjeha
ReplyDeleteOoh, yum! The inserted photo and use of dialogue are so effective. I also liked the title you chose for this piece when so many could have been used. I see it as a way to capture that inner conflict family members sometimes bring, yet we love them all the same.
ReplyDeleteLove the dialogue in this piece, the varied participants in your decision, and the recognition that "cake is the most important thing." Delightful! Great to have the photo.
ReplyDeleteCake in the countryside sounds delightful, and the cake looks so delicious. I understand being torn and wanting to stay home and spend time on that sofa after a busy workshop!
ReplyDelete