Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2024

an early start for a day of learning

I have a brief moment to sit and write before I catch a train to the city to attend the third day of a coaching/supervision course. I'll eat the breakfast when I arrive in the train station. I have a new book (Sour Grapes by Dan Rhodes) for the forty minute ride. And I have an apple and a small bag of walnuts for snack. 

Over the past two years our learning cohort has met in various locations. This time we are in a coaching centre that one of the participants opened two months ago. It has one big room and several small ones on a sixth floor of the newest building in the city creative centre. 

The first day I sat so I had the view to the old town. I spaced out few times just dreamily looking at the distance. Pulled myself together. 

This is not an ordinary course where you listen to the lectures, take notes, do some group work, though we do that do. During the past two days I have drawn fish, danced, been on my back and stomach like a baby, made paper art, and a sculpture with my body based on a photograph's title. There's a continuous exploration on identity, considering context, changing perspectives, using head-gut-heart, finding and interpreting metaphors, and using collective wisdom to solve problems. Creative methods are there to help to bypass the cognitive rational thinking. We are way too much in our heads and getting out of the head is what is sometimes needed to understand situations, move on and create change. 

For the past two days my keywords have been flow and playfulness. They have served me well. With two more days to go who knows what else I would have to do - paint the sky or make music with my toes. 




6 comments:

  1. This sounds like my type of course! Sign me up! Enjoy the rest of it. I think I need to get off my head. I love the way you described your morning on the train. I picture you perfectly. Can't wait to listen to your piece of music 😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful and refreshing to be in a learning space for adults where playfulness and embodied learning are prioritized. We do spend so much time trapped in our heads, forgetting we even have bodies. I hope the third day of learning was just as rich and restorative as the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an amazing workshop...and one that definitely pushes you out of your comfort zone. The space where the workshop is held is so welcoming. Enjoy the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! An actually useful workshop. Not one where you sit there bored, mind wandering, and getting nothing out of it. Enjoy the rest of your workshop. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your snacks! (Like a raw Waldorf Salad). And your photos! I thrive with "flow and playfulness." Good keywords. Sounds like valuable professional development.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun to read and then I stop and think, 'What an interesting class!"

    ReplyDelete