Pages

Friday, March 15, 2024

be real

I sit on a train, the coat unzipped, my city backpack on a seat next to me. I have already taken my reading glasses and a book to be ready for the forty minute ride. 

My phone starts blinking and I see my daughter is  returning s missed call. 
I am sitting in the first wagon of the train. Are you coming?” I ask
"Yes, I’ll be there in five minutes," she replies.  
And she is. 

She sits next to me in the 7:20 pm train and we head home.

I have come from my coaching/supervision course and she from her acting class.

She tells me about her day, including watching a morning performance with her cousin (both skipped school), a lost pen preventing her from doing math homework, and missing lunch because she couldn’t decide what to eat besides a banana. The teacher in me should wave a finger for skipping school. As a mother I agree with my sister that the senior and first grader going to watch Astrid Lindgren's "Ronja" performance outweighs a day of classes.

I tell her about the supervision session that ended with dancing and about the delicious asian noodle soup and strawberry-rhubarb dessert. 

She is hungry and I give her my emergency muesli bar that is a bit flattened by months of travel in the bottom of my bag under laptop, cords, books, water bottle, and wallets. My daughter notices it has passed the expiration date. She decides to take the risk and eats it anyway. 
She is thirsty and I give her my water bottle. Her own bottle is empty because the cousin drank all the water. 

I start reading my book - a collection of literary criticism, theatre reviews and essays. Oh, the writer is so skillful with the words. She speaks directly to the reader in this friendly over the table kind of way, including her likes and dislikes, wonders and surprises, boredom and disappointment, connecting mundane everyday moments with playful literary devices.

My daughter is on the phone, scrolling Pinterest, chatting with friends. 
Then she finds that one of the titles "Garbage and Roofs" is funny, snaps a photo and asks her friends to guess the author. They don’t.

“Be Real time.” she says, “Let’s have the book also on the picture.”

So I close the book and lift it up. We lean closer to each other and she takes a photo.

“Send it to me too," I say, thinking I need it for my be real slice.



14 comments:

  1. Terje, your slice is a realistic portrayal of an ordinary conversation. It was fun to listen to you and your daughter, especially the skipping school news. The photo is wonderful and I especially like your daughters' expression. Thank you for entertaining me at this late night/early morning writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet that you let your daughter share her day without judgement. You caught her spirit in this slice and your close relationship! How fun it is to have a daughter - I have three who are all different and now as adults, my
    best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this train travel with you and daughter. A delight to end/start my day with the two of you. The pic is perfect and so is your attitude about skipping school on this occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Astrid Lindgren. Oh, just hearing the name takes me back to the day I visited the Pippi Longstocking house in Fernandina Beach, Florida. There is something magical about a girl with such adventure! I hope they enjoyed the play - I need to look up Ronja. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading about your time on the train with your daughter. I could feel the closeness and deep bond between you two. Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice moment with your daughter! You describe how our conflicting roles change as we move, and with our families, priorities change. I love the phrase "Be Real Time"

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that you and your daughter had some train time together. Glad you got the picture and a slice out of the trip. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Be real time” is a great phrase I’m going to remember. Meantime, I am envious of you having a 40 minute train ride with your daughter! Love the detail of the smushed emergency food bar, and also how mothers always seem to have what the offspring need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My friend introduced me to the “Be Real” app - I particularly love that you are with your daughter for the Be Real moment. I agree that attending that performance is a day well-spent - she is lucky to have a mom who understands and supports such endeavors. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I note the sacrifices a mom makes for her own (the emergency bar, the water bottle) - no matter how old her child becomes. That is "real" to me. Such a great photo of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how much every little piece of this slice tells me about the people and things that matter the most to you. I’m a little bit envious of that time on a train with a book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this shared ride, the life-saving (squished) granola bar, and the ways you connect with each other. And yes, the picture was a perfect addition to this slice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you remembered so many small details, including the bit about the muesli bar. Your daughter looks so much like you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this glimpse of you and your daughter together on the train--the ways you interact and the ways you enjoy simply being in each others' company. Even though on the surface it's a mundane moment, it's so beautiful in its connection.

    ReplyDelete