Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2023

All well that ends well

"Whaat?" I had a serious moment of panic when my windshield wiper stopped working in the middle of a country road and the slush splashed from a truck in front of me hid my view. 

Turning the wipers on and off had no effect. I could slightly see from the passenger's side but almost none from my own view. 

There was no way I could continue driving. 

How lucky I was to be next to a gas station, so I turned to the parking lot. I had to take deep breaths to stop shivering.

I was more than an hour from home and thirty minutes from the school where I was supposed to give a short workshop.

I called the school. They understood that I couldn't do the workshop and wished me luck with solving the situation.

I called my boss. He understood that cancelling the workshop was inevitable and hoped for the best in finding a solution. 

I called my husband. He listened, said to wait and promised to call back.

I sat in my car and counted all that was well.

  1. I was safe.
  2. It was daylight.
  3. I was in a gas station not on a side of a road in the middle of nowhere.
  4. The gas station had a cafe and a bathroom. 
  5. I had a book in my bag.

My husband called me back. He had figured out what the problem was. Decided that instead of ordering a tow truck and sending me to a workshop, he would buy the rod that had broken and replace it himself. It would take him about ninety minutes to get the necessary spare part and drive to my location. 

All I could do was to go to the cafe. I bought a cup of tea and a wrap, sat down, ate, drank the tea and read the book. 

My husband arrived as he had promised. The change of the part took longer and was more complicated than he had anticipated but eventually - Ta-daa!- both wipers worked. 

My husband is a superhero!

A kiss and a hug. 

We sat into our cars, he drove back to work and I drove home. 

All is well that ends well.

Here's a view form my living room window. No windshield wipers needed.


5 comments:

  1. So glad everything turned out well. Lucky you were near a gas station. arjeha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terje, I love that list of all the good things/blessings that you counted. After the initial disappointment of cancelling the workshop, I would think that 90 minutes of eating, sipping tea, and reading your book would have been such a welcome time. I'm glad you could enjoy those blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike winter driving for more reasons than one - you described one that makes me shudder. So glad it all turned out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad the problem was solved but it was an anxious moment. The view from your window is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daylight, a cafe, a cup of tea, a book, and your superhero to the rescue! I hope the workshop can be rescheduled. Love the pic from your living room window!

    ReplyDelete