Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2023

What's in your mind?

Perhaps browsing some poetry might inspire a thoughtful slice this morning, I wonder, then pull out a few poetry books from a shelf, place them besides my journal on the coffee table, and plop myself comfortably on the living room sofa. 

I browse the books, read some of the poems, and come to the conclusion that my brain is in a slumber holiday mode and has turned off the parts that require rigorous cognitive and emotional activity. The thoughts in my head do not reach the region responsible for contemplating about the depth of human conditions like the poets in their few words invite me to do. 

My eyes travel to the dust layer that has gathered on the shelf during my three day escape from home. The sun streaming from the window highlights the dust as if trying to ensure the chore of cleaning would make the today's to-do list. My thoughts swirl around the calculations how much effort the removal of dust would take and swipe the whole idea to the "later" section. 

The only small thought left in my head is the vision of a tiny snow drop blossom peeking from a patch of ground where the snow has melted, right there under my living room window. Seeing it yesterday when I returned home brought a wide smile to my face. Arrival of spring is in my mind. 

(this thought was powerful enough to get me off the sofa and send outside to take a photo)




13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such vivid imagery in your post, Terje - dust motes in a shaft of sunlight is a favorite of mine. That tender snow drop blossom is the very image of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. I often begin my day with poetry as well! Nice to see your writing again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah spring! Thank you for that beautiful snow drop. Brings peace and hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you captured your mind wondering from poetry and deep thoughts to dust and chores to snowdrops and spring. Nice stopping point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured that "looking for a post" experience perfectly. Dust bunnies and snow drops are both great images to start the day and make me think about appreciating the potential of spring as well as the potential of a "dust rag" to make magic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the joys of spring. We traveled to Chicago a couple of weeks and saw many plants peeking out. Iowa, not so much, yet. As for the dusting, "swipe the whole idea to the 'later' section" made me smile!

    Thank you for sharing today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found poetry in spring’s new flowers and made a picture poem for our pleasure. I’d call that deep cognition and metaphorical dusting the shelves. It’s a welcome, lovely image for me as we drive home through a white snow blanket surrounding the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The snow drop photo is stunning! It makes me yearn for spring. Here in Wisconsin, we still have a lot of snow covering the ground. I also enjoyed how you captured your thought process as you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though March ha just begun, we have had a mild winter so far and the signs of spring are everywhere offering hope to those who come upon them. Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your writing here! You create such a lovely scene at the beginning with your poetry books, looking to be inspired. And then nothing - I can so relate! And then the dust particles... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh, that gorgeous snowdrop! Thanks for mustering the energy to get off the sofa and share it with us. Looking forward to more photos this month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can tell you really are in holiday mode...I wouldn't want to dust either! I love the photo! Spring is such a beautiful time of year. :)
    I'm having so much trouble commenting on your blog lately. :( I hope this works. It's my 10th attempt. It's aggiekesler by the way.

    ReplyDelete