In Estonian:
Täna on mu koolivaheaja viimane päev. Mu abikaasa on tööl ja tütar kooriproovis. Istun hommikuvaikuses elutoa diivanil. Ma armastan seda sooja pehmet pesa, kus naudin teisete loodud tekstide lugemist ja mängin sõnadega, talletades enda elu viile ja mõtteid. Pilved kihutavad helesinises kevadtaevas ja maailm on täis kiirustavaid inimesi. Kuigi seinakell tiksub sekundeid, tundub mulle, et siin ja praegu on aeg peatunud ja laseb mul hingata rahus ja rahulolus. Päike piilub pilvede vahelt ja kõditab mu põske, kutsudes õue mängima. Võibolla hiljem. Las ma viibin selles helge olemise hetkes.
Recording in Estonian:
In English:
Today is the last day of my winter holidays. My husband is at work and daughter in a choir practice. I sit in the morning silence on the living room sofa. I love this warm and soft nest where I enjoy texts that others have written and collect my life slices and thoughts. The clouds rush along the blue sky and the world is full of hurrying people. Even thought the clock is ticking aways seconds, I sense that here and now the time has stopped and allows me to breathe in peace and contentment. The sun peeks through the clouds, tickles my cheek, inviting me to play outside. Maybe later. Let me stay in this light moment of being.

Enjoy your last day of winter holiday. Pamper yourself. Do nothing but the things you want to do.
ReplyDeleteStaying in the light moment of being is so inviting and calming. The days of break, where there are no pressing deadlines and we actually have our own bathroom at hand - - those are the best! Enjoy your time, and thanks for the moments of tranquility here.
ReplyDeleteLovely post. Long ago, when I was in college I was asked to play in a college orchestra whose conductor was Estonian-American. The concert was in Toronto with an Estonian choir that we would accompany. I don't remember anything about the concert except that we played both the Canadian and Estonian anthems, and how struck I was by the depth of feeling of the singing of both those anthems by the choir and audience.
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely post. Soak up every last minute of your winter holiday!
ReplyDeleteThis describes almost every teacher on that last, quiet day of a vacation. While I do not understand Estonian, it was great that you recorded you post in you beautiful language. I tried to match words - without much luck!
ReplyDeleteTerje, that is beautiful in English and Estonian. So many lovely images of sitting in the sofa nest, time stopping for you to breathe in peace and contentment, and the sun peeking in and tickling your cheek. Yes, just "stay in this light moment of being."
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your language with all of us. You gave us all an entry point into your world, and the way you read your post, the way the language rises and falls, let me know before I read the translation that there was something mystical about your slice. And maybe the ups and downs match the bittersweet moments we all can relate to at the end of our holidays.
ReplyDeleteBreathing in peace and contentment...lovely words. I hoped you enjoyed last day as much as I enjoyed listening to your voice.
ReplyDeleteI really like that TWT added Multilingual Fridays and I am so glad you took that invitation. I just loved hearing your voice, Terje! I feel close to you in a funny way after reading your work for years, and just loved hearing your voice and your language.
ReplyDeleteTerje, I really enjoyed listening to you read in your native language. I felt as I was in the room with you.
ReplyDelete