Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2022

the day before turning fifty

Today is the last day when I am 49. I have done ten minutes of stretching and five minutes of mindfulness, washed my hair and scrubbed the bathroom, read the news and tidied the coffee table, watched the clouds race in the sky and trees fight with the wind, now I am on the always welcoming sofa, typing on my faithful laptop.

At the start of this year, when I struggled with the change of turning fifty, I played with an idea to do something special every month and write some thought through posts about the change of age, celebrating things I have done, and share lessons learned. I did some of it - bought myself a beautiful book about women over fifty, went for a photo shoot without make-up, joined a writing course and the March SOLSC challenge. I have written posts and poetry, I wrote "50 things I am proud of" and "50 good things in life" lists, I have made plans for the future and have imagined myself as an old woman, I have been to theatre and art exhibitions, spent time in the company of magnificent people, listened to the ones wiser than me and played with the ones younger than me. 

I had also planned that closer to my birthday I would buy a new blouse, get a full make-up and a new photoshoot, and take a staycation in a hotel, and then throw a party with fancy food and a band to my friends and family like my mom did when she turned fifty. These plans deflated and I am relieved. I read from "These Precious Days" an essay how Anne Patchett went a whole year without shopping and since I dislike shopping anyway, it was easy to discard the new blouse plan. The photo shoot idea went on a shelf because it takes too much organising and I didn't have the time nor energy for it. I wasn't too keen on the big fancy party idea either, it felt wrong considering the world situation and not my style at all. I opted for a lunch in a small restaurant only with my family, parents and sis with her family. My hair is washed already, I'll put on eyeshadow and mascara, and nobody is required to wear a tie. And better than fancy food and band is the fact that both my parents are still alive and healthy and can join my celebration. My grandparents were long gone when my parents reached fifty. 

The closer the birthday gets, the more relaxed I have become. I have sat with the sadness of the passing time and things that would never be again, and I have turned this into appreciation of the past. I have reminded myself of the uselessness spending my energy on things I can't change, turning this into acceptance of what is. I am looking into the future. Next week already I will attend a poetry reading, a dinner with friends after school and a dinner with my writing course group on Friday evening. I have two coaching course modules this spring. Two friends have sent me invitations to events this summer. My proposal has been accepted for the European Literacy conference in Dublin, so I need to book things for July. 

Another thing that has helped me is the way others see me. During a leadership course the workshop leader asked to choose cards that would best represent our current state. I shared how I struggle with the approaching birthday, and that with age I have become calmer when storms are around and find my calm quicker when the storms are inside me, and that even though I am starting to look like an old wise woman, inside I also have a young fairy who is playful, and I continue nurturing that side of me. We later did an exercise and had to share what thoughts crossed our mind when we watched our partner in silence. The man who did the exercise with me said that based on what I had said about the cards, he suddenly remembered a song from an Estonian Comedy show, an entrance tune for a humorous middle-aged woman with wild hats and clothes and wild stories about her experiences in life. Even thought I am far from the character in the show, I found his randomly arrived association to be somehow liberating, and I laughed out loud. 

So here I go, celebrating my birthday with my family today. 

Tomorrow I will be fifty. Tomorrow I'll write another post. 

All posts on turning fifty.



14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Such a wise post. I was reflecting yesterday on my upcoming 50th (in July) and it feels very strange suddenly to realize that I will be 50, an age that always sounded old to me and also always seemed so far away. It's helpful to me to read your posts navigating your thoughts, feelings, and experiences. I think there is such wisdom in sitting with sadness and then moving to gratitude and hope. For me, the secret to happiness is always staying very rooted in the present moment and not engaging too much in thoughts of past or future. Always a challenging discipline for the mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the juxtaposition of the old wise woman with the young playful fairy! Enjoy your family celebration. And now I'm off to read a couple of your posts about turning 50 that I've missed. Happy birthday eve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy day before your birthday. I hope you enjoy the last day of 49. I real 11 by Sandra Cisneros to my fifth graders recently to remind them that they have all their previous ages within them still, but maybe I read it aloud for me too, because as I recently turned 59 I am feeling that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful birthday doing what YOU want. This constant, dare I say it? I feel pressure on women to celebrate and honour their days of births with items, shopping -- and presenting themselves, almost? Had me pause at my 41st last weekend. The reflection and ownership of yourself in this post are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read many of your posts on truning 50 and your emotions about it. I love this post because of the wisdom it reveals. Happy birthday eve, my faraway friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this post and really enjoyed reading all the things you've done to bring in the new decade. I don't think many take the time to mindfully consider the pain of aging but also the possibility. Whenever I feel the sadness (I turned 40 last month and it felt hard), I think of what my mom always says "better than the alternative!" I also like to think about different ages as 'turns'... I'll spot a really beautiful, lithe 20-year-old and think "Ya know, it's just her turn to be this. I had my turn and hers won't last forever either!" ... Either way, I'm inspired by your attitude and wish you a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I love this post. So much emotion throughout. I love the idea of doing something special each month leading up to your birthday. I also like the idea of doing something special each month the year I turn 50 [I only have a couple left before I am there too.]
    Love the cards too - which decks are they from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy early birthday. You share a birthday with my husband who joins me tomorrow in being 58. So many of your inner feelings match my own reflections. May all in our 50s continue on with a dash of wisdom along with a spoonful of playfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! 50 is a milestone birthday. Many of us, when we turn or have turned 50, contemplate what we have done with our lives and where we plan to go moving forward. For me, turning 50 was just another day as was turning 60 and turning 70. Live each day with gusto and make it count. Enjoy your net decade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My father use to give advice, "Don't get old" but then add, "But it beats the alternative!" My mom use to share with me in her 80's, "How did this happen? I was just 35!" Now that I have entered my 60's I get it. I feel 40. How is it possible that these years have gone by so quickly? How am I now the oldest teacher in the building? Enjoy this decade. It's a GREAT one! Before you blink you'll be 80 looking back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Last Day of 49! I turned 50 just last month and although it doesn't bother me (possibly because I don't feel 50 just yet), I wondered how my mom felt having a 50 year old. Every time one of my kids hits another year older I always think, "How is it that my baby is a teenager? How can I have an 18-year-old already?) I wonder how it feels for my older sister to have her younger sister be 50 already?

    I hope you enjoy all the celebrations celebrating 50 years of life and love! Enjoy the moments that will become life-long memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy, happy birthday! I love reading your plans, and how they have changed! The current version sounds lovely! Here's to a wonderful next trip around the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday! This is a beautiful slice that captures the swirling thoughts and emotions as you approach the big day. I'm glad you found the right way to celebrate your special day in your style. Looking forward to reading tomorrow's post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! I'm so glad you were able to celebrate your birthday in a way that made you feel good. I hope this year is a wonderful one for you!

    ReplyDelete