Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

continuing where we left off

Countryside is my summer place. I hardly ever go there in the fall. My mom and sis still regularly go, doing all that is needed to prepare for the winter. 

I went last weekend. 

I wasn't even out of the car when my 5yo nephew ran to me, "Remember we have a game to continue."

My brain was blank. During the summer we played all sorts of games, involving characters from movies,  pretending to be animals, making stories, copying TV shows, drawing, cooking, building, creating, running, hiding. In all honesty I couldn't remember what we had done last almost two months ago. 

"We played spies, you were the person behind the computer, and I was out on the field," he continued.

Amazing how his memory held our last game and as if no time had passed he was able to return to his character and go on missions to catch the bad guys and save the world from disasters. 

My job was to sit behind the kitchen table, pretend searching the internet, writing important information on notepaper and sending it to his phone. I made lists of necessary tools and gadgets he needed to take with him on missions, wrote descriptions of suspects and created maps he had to follow. Every time he returned from a mission he told me about his adventures. 

And sure enough, this is how I spent most of the day, with short pauses for a walk, lunch and sauna. 



3 comments:

  1. I do believe 5 year olds have memories lie an elephant. Wish I still had that kind of memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that photo! It goes so well with the story. What a sweet fall visit to the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and my husband! Both of you play such creative games with little ones. I bet your nephew loves every single mission.

    ReplyDelete