Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

when November arrives after September

 "It feels as if we skipped September and now it is already November," a colleague remarked in the morning, looking out of the cafeteria window.

I know what she meant. Usually summer extends to September with light and warmth, and only in the end of September the rains arrive and the leaves start changing colour. This year we had a glorious summer, and suddenly in the end of August the temperature dropped significantly, the rain kept pouring for days, and people dug their gloves and hats and warm jackets out of their closets already in mid-September. 

At the start of the September the yellows, oranges and browns started to replace the green scenery. Way earlier than expected. The last days of September looked what they usually look in the end of October. Last week I had moments of admiring the lindens arching over the sidewalk with yellow leaves  dancing in the morning sun creating a golden glow all around, the maples having ample of orange leaves to decorate themselves and gift to the ground for shuffling through the piles, and the horse chestnuts joyfully plopping shiny smooth conkers to the street for people to pick into their palm or collect into heir pockets. The wind playfully invited the leaves along, "One, two, three, yay, let's jump," and the first brave ones twirled and whirled through the air creating a glorious performance. 

On my morning walks I usually met various people, some adults hurrying to work, some adults clearly too tired and almost sleep walking, schoolchildren with large backpacks standing in a bus stop, fit and determined joggers running past everyone, and the dog walkers letting their dogs sniff and explore the surroundings. I kind of expected every morning to see a golden retriever lead its owner, a small spaniel carrying a tree branch in his mouth, two huskies trying to pull their owner in two different directions. I have also seen a hare, almost the size of a kangaroo, hopping across a street, and squirrels climbing up and down the trees and running along fences. The colourful trees, the morning sun, the living creatures have made my morning step and heart light, preparing me well for the days ahead.  

This morning I arrived in the city a bit earlier than usual. When I went for my morning walk, the darkness and the quiet created a feeling of being left alone on this planet. The dog walkers, schoolchildren and joggers were nowhere to be seen. No animals around, not even sparrows chirping in the bushes. The wind pushed me form the back, ran ahead, angrily pulled the leaves from the trees. Many trees were bare already, most leaves had surrendered and fallen, only with few stubbornly holding on, pretending they could avoid the inevitable. Kind of like me, not quite ready yet for the season of darkness and cold. Part of me wanted to weep, part of me knew I would have to keep looking for the light and colour, even if in photos, to thrive not merely survive the November that arrived at the start of October.  It feels as if the fall ran through Estonia, "Here, enjoy the leaves. That's enough. Done, Bye!"

This morning was too dark to take any photos, so here are some from my morning walks earlier this month:










7 comments:

  1. I love your description of the trees in September- that paragraph was filled with such imagery. I am just beginning to see the change in colors where I live and after reading this I am going to embrace and cherish it daily before it quickly fades. Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I'm sorry to hear that November came early - it's my birthday month, but still not my favourite. Still, it's almost worth it to get to revel in your wonderful descriptions. I especially liked this, "the horse chestnuts joyfully plopping shiny smooth conkers to the street for people to pick into their palm or collect into their pockets. The wind playfully invited the leaves along, "One, two, three, yay, let's jump," and the first brave ones twirled and whirled through the air creating a glorious performance" - which made me want to go play outside & made me long for chestnuts. And then this sentence: "Part of me wanted to weep, part of me knew I would have to keep looking for the light and colour." Yes! I know this feeling. And I hope the light will last just a little longer as you walk because I so enjoy your pictures. Thank you for this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed walking with you in the very early morning. Your fourth paragraph was so vivid that I felt like I was right there. Smart to pack away all the light and color for the colder days ahead. I try not to think about those right now. Like you, I'm just trying to take in the warmth that is left, the beautiful color and the light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like I was walking alongside you on this journey through the seasons that are flying past. It's hard to let go of summer's warmth and then just moments later let go of fall's beauty knowing what is in front of us. PS it as dark when I walked th8s AM as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terje, first of all, the 3rd paragraph gave me the feeling that I was ready poetry and your photos support the beauty of Estonia's autumn. I captured the 2nd photo for my fall gallery because it invited me in. It is difficult when a beautiful season is a speed runner. Perhaps, the season is not over and was tricking all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful rendering of fall in its glory, in photos and in your words (I so see that spaniel with the tree branch in its mouth, and that kangaroo-sized hare). I should be so sad if September moved straight to November! October needs her moment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here our leaves are just starting to change colors. Your description and pictures have me longing for colorful mountains and back yards...but I don't want to rush the season.

    ReplyDelete