Right now I am at home alone.
Last Friday we finished school. I still had to send out reports yesterday morning, and to sort some school matters today. Last Saturday, my hubby and I had errands to run, on Sunday was my nephews birthday, and yesterday my daughters middle school graduation. I have yet had time to sit down and breathe. The moment alone I have right now is rare and short. My daughter and her friend went out just a few minutes ago. My hubby will return soon too and then we'll drive to the countryside, where my parents and my sister's family are already waiting. It's all good. Countryside is good. Being with family is good. Celebrations are good.
Our apartment building is in scaffolds and the workers renovating it started at 5:30 a.m, so the planned long sleep turned into a strange half-sleep. The poor workers have to start early because it is inhuman to work during the day in the unbelievable heat we have in Estonia this week. It's so hot that the health board recommended people to stay inside. It's all good. Fixing the house is good. A sunny summer is good. Staying inside if needed is good.
When everyone left today, I sat on a sofa and didn't know what to do. I didn't know what I wanted nor what I needed. With all the busy I haven't had the space and time to let my mind cool and rest to figure out what next. I usually make a super short wish list for the summer - sleeping and reading. I look at my pile of books and I don't know where to start. It's almost as if I have used up all my decision making energy during the school year and now have none left even for small decisions. I might start from the top. It's all good though. Having a small wish list is good. Not having to make decisions is good. Having a pile of books is good.
Being at home alone even for a brief moment is good. Very good.

I love your repetition of .....is good. I can relate to that moment when the crazy-busyness stops and you aren't sure what to do with yourself! I hope you have the most relaxing and lovely summer. It's been a year. Time to breathe.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this, Terje!
ReplyDeleteEvery now and then I have the house to myself. It's rare. It happens in half-hour blips when the kids and Marc go out to pick up dinner on a Saturday night. I set the table quickly and then grab a novel. I sit on the couch in silence and just read. As delicious as that is, it feels odd to have the entire place to myself.
It is good! I totally understand the decision fatigue- having a short list is smart. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteRare moments of quiet alone time are to be savored. After a busy stretch making no decisions is a welcome relief. It energizes us for the next round of decision making, even if that choice is what book to read next.
ReplyDeleteI love the repetition of “It’s all goid” and the way it offers grave regardless of circumstance and choice. I hope the weather cools and you enjoy summer w/ family, nature, books, and even those renovations.
ReplyDeleteI like how you wrote this slice, Terje.
ReplyDeleteSo many good things.
Your thinking is good, Terje. May your summer be filled with the good of life. I am extending an invitation to you to write a short blog post on the Spiritual Journey Thursday topic for this month, Nurturing Our Summer Souls. I will send you the invitational flyer on Twitter.
ReplyDelete