Pages

Friday, June 18, 2021

how some small things are big and meaningful

When Ruth invited to write about "big", several things popped into my mind, like being the first Estonian exchange student studying at Smith College after the collapse of Soviet Union, greeting a new years in Space Needle Centre, dancing in Leibowitz Palace in Prague, standing on the Great Wall of China, admiring van Gogh paintings in Amsterdam, drinking tea with a buddhist monk, the tulip fields of Netherlands, listening to Barak Obama speech in Tallinn, the sea in all its forms. These things are big. I have written about these before. 

Today my "big" is seemingly so small, making some people shrug their shoulders, or these things might go unnoticed altogether. For me these things are big. 

We have had glorious June so far. For the past few days the weather has been sunny and sweltering hot. The last week of school during such time is tough. Adults are tired, kids wild, and emotions run the show. My eyes wanted to pop out of the sockets from all the report comment reading, my head roll off the shoulders from sleep deprivation headache, and I have had the urge to cry more than once this week. I cried twice. Once from watching Grey Anatomy and then yesterday, when the small things showed up in the evening. 

I had finished reading all the lower school report comments except my own student reflections. Here comes the first seemingly small really big thing. A boy who for months was convinced he was not creative, admitted that he had grown as a creative thinker, and that he felt proud of having written a fictional narrative and several poems, things he hadn't been able to do last year. My eyes swelled.

Before closing my laptop, I checked the school email one last time and discovered that another boy had sent me some poems. He had written six super sweet short poems, all for me. In one poem he said he'd name a new pokemon he catches after me. The tears trickled down.

After closing my laptop I opened a thank you card I had received from a parent. In between the card was a whole page long thank you letter. In the most beautiful words she showed her appreciation for my help to his son, for my work as a teacher and for my support to her as she transitioned to a new country and new culture. Now I bawled. Gratitude is an enormous gift.  

The final big, sometimes underrated thing is a hug. After months of masks and social distancing a hug is a mighty thing. Today was filled with goodbye hugs, thank you hugs and some long-time-not-seen hugs. I fully agree with the mole from "The Boy, the Mole, The Fox and the Horse" that a hug is better than a cake. Not that I would ever say no to a piece of cake. ;)


5 comments:

  1. Ahh.... some big and very beautiful writing here. I loved your long lines against the short ones. We just discussed The Boy, the Mole... etc. It is amazing how this book has crossed so many cultures. I'm singing, "Happy summer to you!" I love that the boy and the mom let you know how pleased they were. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the tears of joy supersede the exhaustion - that is BIG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those flowers, the notes, and your honest sharing of the fatigue of those last day. I'm with Mole, hugs are the best and I'm loving the opportunity to give them and receive them more often. Here's to a restful summer break and lots of time to read big books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terje, oh my goodness! I love all those big things in the beginning. So many places and big and important experiences you have had, and yet you chose to write about the small things that are big. The juxtaposition of all those things in the beginning with the detailed descriptions of the thankfulness and the hugs is perfect.

    This has to be one of my favorite lines: "Adults are tired, kids wild, and emotions run the show." That whole paragraph had me smiling/crying with you! It is so well-written and telling. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a perfect way to end the school year! I enjoyed the descriptions of your big adventures, but those precious stories at the end were so sweet. I hope you have the best summer!

    ReplyDelete