Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Shonda Rhimes is a genius

It's been a while since I watched Grey Anatomy. In the past, each time I watched, I told my kids, "Shonda Rhimes is a genius." They started to expect me say it or sometimes said it before I had time to open my mouth.

I watched it tonight.

As a PYP Principal-Coordinator I have been reading lower school report comments all day today. When people hear it they often feel sorry for the amount of work I have. I admit that the reading is tiresome for the back and eyes. The joy of reading about the growth of students written by deeply caring teacher overweighs it. 

In the middle of the day I had a virtual leadership team conference, and at one point had to answer some emails. I took two short walks, ate leftovers for lunch and made buckwheat porridge for dinner. And then I felt I could not read a single more comment. The text had become all one blur. So after dinner I thought of watching some TV and landed on Grey Anatomy.

And then in the middle of the show I cried. And then again later, and then one more time. I know it is not the comment reading tiredness nor the end of the year stress nor the emails I didn't know how to answer. I won't tell the episode or the scene that affected me. I don't have to. Shonda Rhimes is a genius. She knows how to tell a story and how to touch the deepest heart strings. Crying is ok. 



10 comments:

  1. It is amazing to me how timely Shonds R. is with her scripts and production. She does know how to touch people's hearts and I believe this is why I have continued to watch the show since it first aired. May your summer days be filled with lots of enjoyment and more relaxation time, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been a "Grey's" watcher all these years, but I can relate to crying at a beloved show when the actor's/actress's performance is moving. For me, that show is "This Is Us." Do you know that one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the fact that Shonda keeps her pulse on what is happening in the world and addresses these issues make for compelling and moving TV watching. Yes, she is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I have seen very little of Shonda Rhimes's work, I appreciate her prominence in the entertainment world. Your post illustrates how strong storytelling can touch us deeply and I love your ending: "Crying is ok." Yes, yes, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cry every episode of Grey's Anatomy. Seriously! After 17 seasons I can't believe Shonda Rimes is still able to come up with new stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DITTO! Like Lisa, I cry at every single stinkin episode of Grey's. My husband thinks I'm ridiculous for remaining a committed GA viewer, but it's like you said - Rimes is a genius! Hoping you continue to seek rest in the midst of your long days <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never got into Grey's Anatomy, but after reading your post I watched a 12 minute video of highlights from the first season. It was quite exciting! Of course, I remember it, but I don't know why I never really got hooked. However, your post perfectly describes the stress and busyness of the end of the year, and how a diversion like this is magical and genius. I'm so glad you took the time to watch a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a word: Release. You needed it and it found you, even if momentarily. Here's to more of it soon. Your post also speaks to the power of story and the writer, for stirring the soul, for healing, for so many, many things. Crying IS ok! Takes me back to the word "release" - reminding me of the quote: "The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Thank you for sharing your vulnerability and your admiration for Rhimes' genius.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Taking a break to watch a good story unfold is sometimes exactly what one needs. The power of a great story and brilliant storyteller, regardless of the format is a great way to escape reality. Thank you for mentioning Grey's Anatomy. I watched the first two or three seasons of it, but then...teaching and mothering consumed my TV watching time. This summer sounds like a good time to start watching it again from the beginning. I read Rhimes' memoir, Year of Yes, another great story. I never considered the amount of work it takes to write a series. Writing sub plans for a day or two of an absence is sometimes harder than showing up. When she wrote about the amount of work that goes into having everything ready on time for the actors to work, wow. Can't get a sub easily for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the balance in this piece between work and self-care, and your honesty about the details of both. It is okay to admit that the work we love can be hard, and okay to admit that the self-care can lead to the release of emotions. I'm wondering if the crying wasn't just about the show, but also a release of the overwhelm of work. The power of story to help us cope!

    ReplyDelete