Saturday morning silence and my sofa's softness sign that I am in the right place at the right time ready to write my weekly reflection for the SOLSC writing challenge. I haven't made a cup of tea yet. Still in my PJs, I snuck out of the bedroom to write before my husband and daughter wake up. It's past nine o'clock already.
I celebrate that I have kept my calm during the week of going for a second lock down. I can't figure out whether it is worse to be in a lock down for a whole year or to have experienced some normal life and then being forced to a second lockdown. I am still working on how to keep the positivity. I celebrate completing the first full day of distance learning with my fourth graders. I celebrate my lovely learners who showed good self-management skills and creative thinking. I celebrate my wonderful colleagues who showed patience and flexibility as we smoothed out some glitches in the DL schedules. I celebrate the phone calls with my mom, sis, and adult daughters. I celebrate the comfort of being together with my hubby and teenage daughter. She has matured and so has our relationship. I celebrate that I take the time to walk and write. Like last March showed, for me writing and reading are vital in keeping my sanity and finding the joy.
My plan for this week was to focus on school slices. The week before, during the winter holidays, the days felt free and fluid, allowing to take time for writing, choosing and playing with topics and styles. Returning to school on Monday I thought of observing my kids and collecting slices from the ordinary days at school. By the end of Monday this plan flew out of the window because of the lock down announcement. (The government doesn't call it a state of emergency but it is very much like that.) A shadow of this lingers over all my posts. I made an effort not to be too dark and still look for at least a small nugget of good, like a piece of chocolate or a bag of books. Another unexpected thing was to receive an invitation to slice in my home language. I blog in English and writing a post in Estonian was a fascinating experience yesterday. I wrote it early morning before distance learning and it was short. In my journals I have writing both in English and Estonian.
I appreciate the empathy in the comments. I didn't realise how much I needed it until I read and the caring words helped me to breathe slower and gather myself. I appreciate that slicers write about their life with raw honesty, revealing their different feelings and thoughts, reminding me that it is ok to experience all the emotions. I appreciate that the slicers reflect, sharing their lessons learned and creative solutions in tricky situations. I appreciate that slicers seek joy and humour and hope, showing ways to find strength. I appreciate that the slicers write about the ordinary. I have become to appreciate the ordinary more and more.
Wishing everyone a weekend of finding what you need, whether reading what others shared or letting your own words become a journey of discovery.
It took me almost an hour to write this. I am thankful for Saturday and that my family loves sleeping in. My stomach is growling though.

I'm glad writing is a comfort to you now. The uncertainties that remain are so disconcerting, but it sounds like you're on a good path. You know where to draw your strength, your comfort, your inspiration. I've been letting the writing just take me this month, so much less planned than other years.
ReplyDeleteTo come out of lock down and go back into it is difficult but there is no choice. In my country too, number of cases are increasing in some states.
ReplyDeleteIn spite of everything, there is a lot to celebrate too.
Terje, my thoughts are with you as the lockdown continues. I hope the end of that is soon in sight, with more vaccine availability. I have experienced that slow, burdened writing you mention...yet it's a tool for chipping away at the rock pinning us down. A little more room to breathe. Strength to you.
ReplyDeleteOur school year has been one of waiting to know what would happen and many changes. It hasn’t been easy. It was planned that we would be in person at the start of the year, but we were fully remote. Then for weeks, teachers were in the schools while students were still remote. Then students came back in phases to elementary full time while middle and high schools had hybrid schedules (except for those who chose to continue with remote learning). Then once more everyone had to be remote. Then back to the in person schedules... middle and high schools are scheduled to be fully in person by April. However, parents still have the choice to remain remote, which means every teacher is simultaneously teaching in person students and online. Stressful. Any time ad any way we work with students have good moments of connection and learning, but this year has been a challenge unlike any other. It is hard to remain positive because the concerns for health, personally and for our communities, countries and our world are also constant.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your slice. I really appreciate the way you are celebrating all your encounters in the midst of all that is going on around you. Your positivity is such a good trait especially at this time.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear about the second lockdown. This year has been incredibly challenging. May you find peace in writing, be it reflection or observations about the ordinary. Impressive that you journal in two languages!
ReplyDeleteIn these times it is so important that we find things we appreciate and celebrate. Writing is a great outlet for expressing our feelings and reading posts form others shows us we are not alone in our feelings and frustrations.
ReplyDeleteIn these times it is so important that we find things we appreciate and celebrate. Writing is a great outlet for expressing our feelings and reading posts form others shows us we are not alone in our feelings and frustrations.
ReplyDeleteI continue to think of you, Terje. May you find peace and comfort. I enjoyed reading your reflections.
ReplyDeleteI love that you stopped to reflect on your week. Too often, we just keep going. It's so vital to think about what happened and where we are now. (And I'm so happy you liked writing in Estonian! Can't wait to see it again next Friday!)
ReplyDeleteTerje, your voice is strong in this Slice, even as you write about the difficult feelings surfacing yet again with this lockdown repeat. I hope you are exercising extreme self-care during this time. Take care.
ReplyDelete