Pages

Sunday, March 14, 2021

planning and self care

Impressive. I am happy for Lisa, I thought, reading how she planned out the rest of her school year and banished the feeling of being overwhelmed. She considered this a wonderful form of self-care. She felt organised, ready and excited. 

I have a plan for the four weeks of distance learning, and more if needed. Starting the second lock down exactly at the same time as last year, I have resources I can use and don't have to create everything from scratch. I have next week's plan in place, tomorrow's schedule uploaded to Google Docs, links to my own and specialist Google Meets included, activities posted on SeeSaw. I have a personal schedule with breaks and a to-do-list created. I know what I am cooking for lunch and dinner. I am organised and ready.

I took steps for self-care today. I know that mindfulness is good for my mind. So I listened to the Calm app daily meditation in the morning. I know that movement is good for my body. So I followed an instruction on Asana Rebel. I know that walking in the fresh air is healthy. So I walked my usual route in my little home town. I know that connecting with friends is good for the soul. So I joined a Google Meet. We. spoke for two hours. 

Yet, my mind is restless, and somewhere lodged in my stomach is a feeling I can't properly name. Having been through the distance learning once I am sure it will be ok; I fully agree with the government's decision to impose the lock down; I can list the positive sides of the distance learning; yet, I can't fully relax and smile only. I need a bit more time to banish my feelings of restlessness and the knot in my stomach. 

Lisa said that being organised is better self care for her than a bubble bath or eating a cake. 

I think I need a heavier dose of self care, including a bubble bath and eating a cake. 

I appreciate that my daughter is willing to give me a handmade strawberry smelling solid bubble bath piece and my hubby has agreed to bake a cherry and marzipan sponge cake. 

12 comments:

  1. The feelings you invoke are ones I am familiar with, unfortunately. Everyone's idea of self-care is different and I'm finding that this particular year is different than any other in terms of what I need to stay calmer and focused. I hope your bubble bath and cake help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so helpful to have a plan to help feel more calm and controlled. But I also am a big fan of cake as self-care. That cake you're husband is making sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow no matter how organized and well planned we are there is always a little voice nagging us wondering if we are as well planned as we know we are. A cup of tea, a slice of cake and a bubble bath sound like just the thing to quiet that voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow no matter how organized and well planned we are there is always a little voice nagging us wondering if we are as well planned as we know we are. A cup of tea, a slice of cake and a bubble bath sound like just the thing to quiet that voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, bubble baths and sponge cake! And helpers to make that happen. That sounds like some perfect care for you--caring for yourself and others caring for you too in this time you need it. All the best, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I used to think of cake and bubbles as self-indulgent. But they do help me relax, and we all need that. Sometimes the bath becomes a hiding place for me, where I try to forget my responsibilities.

    A year ago did any of us realize the things we were creating and using would be useful again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how in the end, there is a healthy does of AND in your self-care. Organized and still anxious, to-dos and bubbles baths and cake. This helps it all to be okay, ever bit of this experience is normalized in your post. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, yes, we can still have that knot in the stomach. And why not? It is not for good reasons that you are back to teaching virtually. But you do have what you need to make it work, and it also appears you have a most supportive daughter and husband!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will agree that being organized does help calm me, but I am not always good at it. I would much prefer bubble and cake, too. I hope your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad that you took some time to take care of yourself. It is so necessary! Keep doing that. Still thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how you must be feeling. Just because you've done it before and survived, and just because you know how to do it, it doesn't mean it's necessarily easier this time around. I'm glad you are taking care of yourself. Keep doing that...and know I am rooting for you on the sidelines. You've got this! One step at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bubble bath and cake sounds good to me too! I do like the calm that comes with better organization, though. Like you, I find that walking, connection, and some kind of meditation (though it's often the meditation I find in writing) are necessary self-care items. That's one thing I have gotten so much better at this year: prioritizing self-care.

    ReplyDelete