Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Now we know

The announcement came: the country will close everything but groceries, pharmacies and animal stores on Thursday. We will go on distance learning. 

"I feel lost. Like I don't know which direction to run," my friend sits in her chair and looks at a pile of papers on her lap. The kids have had their first two lessons and have gone to Music, and will have PE after that. What should a person do first in this situation? 

We have distance learning handbook in place, we have the schedules in place, even plans and materials saved from last spring, we have done it once, so we know what it is about, but the change from face-to-face came so suddenly, that even with all the mindfulness it is hard to manage the stress reaction.

The government kept repeating that the primary schools would stay open no matter what. The repeated it so many times that we started to believe them. We stopped being alert and ready. The announcement was as unexpected as last year, and the feeling is equally disturbing. 

"I think I'll start writing the list of materials for the take-home box," my friend makes her decision, puts the papers away and takes a post-it pack and a pen and starts writing. 

I'd like to say "This too shall pass" or "Everything will be ok" but I can't say the words. I am still managing the confusion and worry inside me. Besides getting things ready for my class as a homeroom teacher, I need to write letters to the teachers and parents as the PYP Principal coordinator, and I don't have all the answers. 

"One step at a time," I say to my friend and leave her in her classroom.

Breathing in, breathing out, I go to the Library to check out some books for the Poetry unit. Thinking back to last spring's Poetry Breakfast Google Meet, I smile. 

One step at a time. We'll be ready. We'll make it happen. At least now we know. Tomorrow will be the last day of face-to-face learning. We'll be at home at least until mid April. This much we know. 






17 comments:

  1. One step at a time is what I hear. It's not easy, but imagine if it were 10 years ago. We wouldn't have the technology as an option to stay connected to the children. Best to you and your school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't completely resolved what is at home and what is at school since last spring. I always seem to have my feet in both places. Now we here we will return to full school as of April 4. The entire last year has been surreal with teaching in real life and on screens. Here and there, piecing it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. day to day to day ... and keep your sanity ... that's my advice
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice with “one step at a time”. When I first started reading your piece, I thought it was a reflection from last school year, and my heart sank for you when I read “...saved from last spring” I’m sorry this is happening. Here’s to brighter days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I. Have. Had. too many of these moments in the last 12 months. We have transitioned/planned for so many things. You captured the teachers frozen brain moment exactly as it is. One step at a time, and many with later regrets; because there is not enough time. All the best to you in the midst of it; be well! -Tim Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another pivot! This has been such a difficult year. As you say, "at least now we know." I love that after you breathe in and out, your first move is to check out books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you're feeling - there is no normalcy this year. There is no routine. When will it end? We're learning resiliency. We're learning to focus on breath. YES - you are right. One step at a time. And, the clipped craft moves you used helped me understand those staccato beats. One foot in front of the other. Hang in there. Thinking about you. XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also thought this was a reflection from last year. It seems so scary for it all to be happening again.Good luck with your transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart breaks for you! I know the shock and surprise of what this means all too well. I wish it wasn't happening to you. What struck me were these lines- "We stopped being alert and ready. The announcement was as unexpected as last year, and the feeling is equally disturbing." I know how this feels. It happened to us this year, too. After being lulled into a false sense of security, it hit us hard. But you've done it before. The routines will come back. Even so, it really stinks. Sending you strength!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deep breath and one step. The uncertainty is gone, even though the outcome was not the expected one. The good thing about teachers is that we are flexible and will make things work no matter what situation we are thrown into. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deep breath and one step. The uncertainty is gone, even though the outcome was not the expected one. The good thing about teachers is that we are flexible and will make things work no matter what situation we are thrown into. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this post resonates. So many changes in one year's time, and probably more to come. "One step at a time," is really all you can do. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One step at a time is good advice. Peace to you and all your staff and children, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One step at a time, and I will be thinking about you along the way. Be safe, be well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. One step at a time is a good mantra. My friend Lisa always reminds me to take things one day at a time, sometimes one moment at a time. Know that I will also be thinking of you. There has been so much pivoting this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you know, keep stepping and breathing. Hope your at home orders are as brief as possible. Glad you thought about those poetry books. With those in hand, you'll gather for another poetry breakfast. Lifting you and yours up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must be so hard, but at least now you know, as you say. Let's hope it's not for too long and the kids can cope with being at home again while you take things one step at a time.

    ReplyDelete