"Would you like a piece of chocolate?" my teenager asks, sitting on the second living room sofa watching an old episode of "Doctor Who."
We both have finished school for today. I returned from the city and she closed her laptop in her bedroom. She has been on distance learning almost since the beginning of January. Twice because the school had too many teachers as close contacts and the school was closed. Then the government sent all the middle and high school students on distance learning.
I had my first day back after the winter holiday. It started out like the most ordinary day - kids gathering, chatting, reading. Then the morning circle, planning for the day followed by learning, creating, reflecting. Then twenty minutes before the end of the day I heard the news. It is very likely that the government will send the primary grades on distance learning. The prime minister said so on her facebook page and the news agencies picked it up
Likely. The probability is very high. My country is on the path to disaster with the second wave of covid. The situation is horrible. We are almost the worst in Europe. Yet, the decision hasn't been made, so we don't know. Maybe we'll go on distance learning next week. Maybe the week after. Maybe the government will still try to keep the primary schools open even when all health specialist advise the opposite.
The not knowing is the worst.
"Yes, please, " I answer to my daughter. I need a piece of chocolate right now. Maybe even two.
I just read on the news the prime minister is thinking of sending the little ones on distance learning already the day after tomorrow.
I need the whole bar of chocolate.

As much as this pandemic is teaching us to be more flexible, it doesn't make the not knowing any easier.
ReplyDeleteHoping you stay healthy and safe, Terje.
Oh, no. Insulated in my own little world, ignoring the news in favor of mental health, I didn't realize... You're right. Waiting for the shoe to drop, not knowing, is hard.
ReplyDeleteI hope it's short-lived if it happens!
Oh God.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry this is what you are wondering about today.
ReplyDeleteThe uncertainty is taxing on the nerves.
ReplyDeleteWaiting and wondering. The twin curses we have managed now for a year. Enjoy the chocolate.
ReplyDeleteTerje, yes to chocolate in times like these! It is really difficult to be in the not knowing stage. Peace to you and the children as you wait. And I pray for the cases to go down, so we can all be back soon.
ReplyDeleteYou definitely need the chocolate. The uncertainty has been so hard this year. I am sorry to hear that your country is experiencing this second wave. Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteI want to send you a box of chocolates and tea. And a huge cyber hub.
ReplyDeleteYes to the chocolate! There really is the science of the way it helps us relax.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Terje! I just keep prayingt that it will all be over soon!
ReplyDeleteUncertainty is one emotion we've spent the past year learning to deal with. If we never have to experience this emotion ever again I think we all will be happy.
ReplyDeleteI feel like flexibility and pivot is all about education these days... I hope that you get answers soon!
ReplyDeleteThe COVID diaries are not over, for sure. We have a governor who thinks the answer is to reopen stores and bars to full capacity while rescinding the mask mandate. I fear it will get worse here, too.
ReplyDelete