Tightly packed in my ankle long coat, wearing a woollen hat, two pairs of socks and extra warm mittens, I consider myself properly dressed for winter. I start layering my clothes since September and don't dare to let go of warmth until June, and even then only if the sun does its job properly. It goes beyond my understanding why anyone would want to take off their clothes and plunge into sea water in winter. When I was a child, I heard of a man who started swimming in the sea already in March. I thought it was the strangest thing ever. Now it seems to become almost a norm for Estonians to do swim in the sea no matter what the weather. Scrolling social media it has been almost impossible for the past several months to not see someone posting a video or a photo of themselves taking a swim in the icy cold water. I understand that super cold water might be beneficial for medical reasons. Then only under doctor's supervision. My mind can not conjure any justification for doing it voluntarily. If we were meant to swim in the cold water we would have thick fur like polar bears. The fact that I can't understand it is not enough to say it's wrong. It makes people happy and doesn't hurt anyone else. These people are fearless and adventurous. It brings them joy.
Walking at a perky pace, admiring the crispy winter scenes around me, I consider my movement just right exercise for me. Walking, yoga, dancing - all seem to be fluid and pleasurable forms of keeping myself fit. There may be sweat but not too much. I might feel my muscles but not to the point of hurt. And my heart may take up some faster beats but not to the limit of breathlessness. I tried running once when I was about to turn thirty and had a minor mid-life crises. I ran my 10k and that was it. Now it seems to become almost a norm for people to start training for marathons or triathlons when they reach forty. Famous people give interviews and participate in documentaries. Scrolling social media I can't help but see photos of running shoes, sport watch readings and ranking lists. My brain fails to understand why would anyone put their bodies through this torture. if we were meant to do this we would have naturally long muscular limbs like cheetahs. The fact that I don't understand it is not enough to say it's wrong. It makes people happy and doesn't hurt anyone. These people show strength and stamina. It brings them joy.
Looking a the pile of my writer's journals, flipping through some of them, reading snippets of my writing from here and there, I consider my time well spent. Mild mental exercise, soft emotional therapy, nurturing my creative self - all are benefits of writing. I notice more and more articles giving praise for morning pages, using writing to solve problems or envision future, and encouraging people to record their stories. Yet I don't see many of my friends posting their poetry or prose on social media, or even speaking of their writing habits. To mention that I plan to participate in a month long writing challenge seems as crazy as cold water swimming or marathon running. I prefer not to stop to analyse why I would put myself behind a screen daily and share slices of my life with others. I have no scientific explanation to back me up this taunting venture.* The fact that I don't have words to make it understandable to others is not enough to say it's wrong. It makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone. I grow my creativity and perspective. It brings me joy.
Swim, run or write! Or do all of the above and more. Less judgement and more joy!
*I explained some of my personal reasoning in Two Writing Teacher's Facebook live.

What I love most about this is the total acceptance of things we and others might not understand. That they bring joy is enough. In 2007 I ran a 10K. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. I’ve been paying the consequences ever since, which is why given the chance I just might try that cold water ocean swim for about five seconds. Writing has become such an important part of my life in retirement. It was vital before but more so now. It brings me joy and a sense of purpose.
ReplyDeleteDifferent things work for different people. I will watch people taking polar plunges on TV from the warmth of my living room. Daily writing during March is something I sign up for even though I wonder every why I put myself through it. As with what others do, the benefits of daily writing is worth it.
ReplyDeleteDifferent things work for different people. I will watch people taking polar plunges on TV from the warmth of my living room. Daily writing during March is something I sign up for even though I wonder every why I put myself through it. As with what others do, the benefits of daily writing is worth it.
ReplyDeleteI don't understanding swimming when it is so cold either. I am currently reading the book Wintering and the author writes about it... It's well written but I cannot fathom this.
ReplyDeleteAfter not blogging for several months, it has felt good to write two posts in the last week. It does feel a bit crazy, but I also think that it's a good kind of crazy! Writing is so important to me, too. It's one of the few things that helps me feel like me.
I love the structure here- the three items, two that are not for you and one that is, and the final sentences for each being almost the same. Lovely piece. It makes me think more about suspending judgement and how that might allow joy to enter.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Fran. Your triple paragraph format with the same focal sentence at the end of each passage is a great format for your slice. I often think will I be able to sustain, the March writing with my move to another state weighing in as one of my central figures. Perhaps I shall write on this part of my journey.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you whole heartedly. I try my best not to judge people, each person is different and it is good if we learn to accept them as they are. I have been writing every week in Slice of Life, but I have never participated in the March challenge. I will this time. Regards.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. TO each his or her own. I really love the repetition of your core idea throughout your blog post. I love the central idea of making people happy and not hurting anyone. After my longer hiatus, it seems a little daunting to commit to the month long challenge again. Thanks for helping me remember some of the benefits.
ReplyDelete