Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

sheep

Driving home in the dark on Thursday evening made me feel as if I was the only person in the world. The stars and moon hidden behind the clouds and the sky and trees forming one seamless black wall, my car lights searched for direction in the all encompassing darkness on the slithering country road. It was comforting to know that after the forest some houses would appear. 

Out of the forest, with a long straight stretch of road ahead, I relaxed a bit, when suddenly a fox dashed across the road and disappeared into a hedge surrounding a small house. I kept my hands and feet steady as I continued driving, my heart raced fast. The fox was lucky that the traffic was non existent and it got to the other side safely. I was lucky that the fox was fast and further away and I didn't hit it.

The fox had ran into a yard of a house that I always looked forward when it was still warm and light. For many years the family kept sheep in the meadow next to their house. I loved seeing the sheep on my way home and wondering what they had done and thought all day. Then the sheep disappeared and for two years I missed seeing them. 

This spring I rejoiced finding new lambs, small and white cute puffs of wool grazing on the meadow. Passing them in the morning cheered me up and seeing them in the evening sent a message that all was good in the world. 

Whenever I saw the sheep, I thought of Tara Smith, a former teacher, a fellow slicer, who had retired and moved to a farm to keep sheep. I love when Tara posts photos of her sheep on Instagram. 

Driving home in the dark, seeing a fox running to the yard, thinking of the sheep and remembering Tara, I smiled. 



A photo of sheep from a field trip two springs ago

6 comments:

  1. I echo Ruth. I was there with you driving through the forest on the "slithering country road." Then that pumping heart when you avoid hitting an animal, one so unexpected and connected to the other memories you share here about the hopefulness of sheep in the field and your friend who has become a shepherdess. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely connection to Tara whose sheep filled mornings I now follow on Instagram. I too think of Tara when I see sheep; however, there are none in suburbia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terje, your opening paragraph was beautifully-crafted. There are fox in Virginia near my daughter's house. I never saw them before and we also have to be careful when driving at night. As for sheep, you are right that is Tara's domain. I will need to travel over to her Instagram page for an update. Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your descrr. Your words out me right there seeing what you see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terje, this as always is a beautiful picture of your life. I always look forward to your photos, and even though there was no fox (not surprisingly!), your sheep picture from a while back was there to bless us!

    ReplyDelete