Tuesday, July 30, 2019
The truth behind the picture
A moment for myself.
The caption for this picture on instagram is not a lie. I was in the countryside. I drank tea. I had a book to read. I had a moment when nobody else was at home.
What isn't visible on the picture is how short the moment was.
The countryside house is a summer home for my mom, my sis, two nephews, my daughter and me, and occasionally my two other daughters, my dad, my hubby, and my brother-in-law.
It is a very rare moment when I am ever alone there.
My mom had gone for a walk and the others were on a beach. I stayed at home. At first I didn't even know what to do. I walked aimlessly in the garden. Then I went for the best two things ever - tea and reading. It would have been easy to stay in after boiling the water and pouring it over the peppermint leaves, but with sandbox games and light saber fights usually going on with my little nephew I hadn't had a chance to read outside at all this summer. I set the tea and book ready, sat down, and then thought it would be great to capture the moment. I stood up again, played with the scene, took pics from far and close, from different angles, with the sun shining and when the cloud hid the sun. To choose and post the photo I went inside to get a better look.
After clicking the publish button, I went outside and sat down again.
And then the first bike rolled into the garden. My daughter was back. From the other end of the garden my mom returned.
I am glad I took the picture. #capturinggratitude
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I like your honesty in this post! I like how you thought you would be reading but instead enjoyed a moment as a photographer. You left me chuckling at the end and imagining the next scene filled with people. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteBoy! Do I ever know about stolen moments and moments of quiet "me" time. They are breif but always savored. I felt this!
ReplyDeleteBoy! Do I ever know about brief, stolen moments of quiet "me" time. Albeit short they are to be savored. I felt that here.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you had a chance to capture gratitude in the quiet of the afternoon, Terje. It might not have been the way you started but you certainly caught the light right to share your gratitude. I love this so much that I am going to capture your photo and send it out.
ReplyDeleteAlthough a fleeting moment you captured a truly idyllic moment. Hope you have the chance to enjoy the setting for a longer period of time.
ReplyDeleteSometimes its hard to know what to do with a brief moment to yourself, when you get them so rarely.
ReplyDeleteSometimes peaceful moments are rare, which make them all the more special, right?
ReplyDeleteLove your honesty
Love the pic, and I want to know what you're reading! "And then the first bike rolled into the garden," reminds me that I typed the very last of yesterday's slice with one hand while grandson Robby was perched in my other arm. I love thinking of you at the countryside house, relishing summer.
ReplyDelete